entering car without a key, stealing the signal

On NextDoor, someone claims a car can be unlocked by stealing the signal!

I can't tell if he's talking about the fob that unlocks the door with a button, or one that just being near the door unlocks the door.

Another claims this can defeated by putting the keys in a faraday cage, as if the fob was transmitting all the time. Or theyre referring to the fob that doesn't require a key (what is that called?) Isn't the range of that only a few feet? Even with the smallest yard, people inside have their fob farther from their car than that, but someone else claims they use an amplifier. Well that's back to the battery powered fob that does nothing unless you push the button.

Another says that if you used the door lock switch on the door to lock the car, this can't happen, but if you use the fob to lock the door it can. I can see a possible difference in those two methods, but is it actual/true? I always lock my car with the door switch just because it's easier and you can do it befoe the door is shut, but I do often then use the fob to turn off the headlights without its waiting 30 seconds.

I don't know if someone who doesn't live in the area and is also signed up can read a nextdoor thread. Anyone know?

I would post the url but Nextdoor said there was one new post and clicking on that made the thread disappear, so I search on stealing the signal and the last hit was on the word "the"!!! It was shown in bold and the other words didn't appear.

Also someoene says: I can't tell from posts here how the thieves are getting into the cars that are parked on the streets. However if you have one of the keyless entry systems you are vulnerable to what is called a "relay" attack. There are a couple of variants but the car is fooled into thinking there is either your legit key nearby when it isn't or your key actually is nearby and the thief intercepts the signal. In other words your car can be theoretically unlocked with your keys stored in your house a modest distance away or when you're walking away from your car in a parking lot.

I'm not sure how often each type of breach is occurring. Just because it CAN happen doesn't mean there's an epidemic. However, if I had keyless entry and was parking my car on the street I would have my keys stored in an RF bag or box; they're simple to make.

-- this doesn't make sense to me.

Reply to
micky

We have had a rash of break-ins and thefts from locked vehicles in my neighborhood, all the vehicles were newer cars with keyless start.

One person had doorbell video of it going on. We now have a nice leather wrapped Faraday cage at the front door that my wife's keys are stored in when she is home.

Explains the process quite well.

Reply to
Idlehands

That's why my wife and I both still use anti-theft steering wheel bars. Every time and every place we park. Thieves are generally not willing to take the time to pick the locks on the bars or try to saw through them and will move to an easier target. Takes only about 5 seconds for us to unlock the bar and put it on the floor behind the passenger seat.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

Must be the second one. I'm glad now I have the first one.

Thanks.

So it sounds like these things are transmitting all the time!! Another problem seems to me to be, How long does their battery last?

Reply to
micky

In this area they are more likely to steal anything of value left in the car then steal it, anti-theft bars are good but won't keep your belongings safe when they can pop the locks.

Mind you I can't understand people who leave anything of value overnight in their cars when parked in open driveways.

Reply to
Idlehands

No idea, we haven't owned the car for over a year yet, the car will announce you need a new battery when it's time.

Reply to
Idlehands

My Toyota manual says from one to two years. I change the batteries in my 'key' every year when I get it inspected. Makes it easy to keep up with that way.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

They are conflating two different attacks. Both are very effective.

Cars are easy to steal. You can put a fancier lock on your car, and the car thieves will just come by with a tow truck and tow it away.

You can put an expensive alarm on your car, but car alarms go off all the time, frequently enough that people ignore them.

It's easier just to get a car that isn't popular with thieves.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Only the car itself transmits its relatively weak signal continuously, looking for a nearby fob. If the fob is far enough away from the car or in a "Faraday" bag/box, it won't "hear" the car, and does not respond.

Reply to
Anonymous

Changed mine after two years. That seems OK for me.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My 2016 Toyo is has the original battery in the keyless fob. It works fine.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

micky snipped-for-privacy@fmguy.com wrote

The worst of them can be. But the best of them cant be.

Yes he is.

Nope, the car is, but if it cant see the fob because its in a faraday cage, it obviously wont unlock the car.

Not if you have a strong enough transmitter, but you will be next to the car if your want to unlock and loot it anyway.

That mangles the real story utterly.

Nope.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Scott Dorsey snipped-for-privacy@panix.com wrote

Not possible where I park my car at home.

I don’t ignore them when my neighbour's house or car alarms go off.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Years ago they stole my wife's 10 year old Mazda. It was found in the city up on blocks and everything under the hood was gone. They stole it for parts taking everything but the radio. Tires were new.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Thief opened the unlocked 94 Integra and carefully removed the cheap ($35) aftermarket radio without damaging anything. Middle of the day, parked on a busy street. Replacement radio was $15 from Ebay. Hard to see why anybody would bother -- as long as you steal something worth less than $1K (per day, not $total) it's the equivalent of a traffic ticket.

Reply to
The Real Bev

A friend had two Austin Healey 3000's stolen in Boston. After the second one he bought a Volvo sedan. Who would steal a Volvo? Someone did but at least he got that one back.

Reply to
rbowman

I had an old Dodge pickup that was a real beater. I left it in the parking lot at work and never drove it too much. It had a Radio Shack cassette player that could be removed by pressing a tab and pulling it out. One day I got in and the mount was dangling by a couple of screws but the player was still there. Apparently the subgenius couldn't figure out the mount.

Another day I jumped in and turned on the wipers because is was raining. The wiper arms were gone.

The final shot was when I sold it for $100. Some old fart wanted the entire pedigree of the truck and carefully inspected it. He crawled under to find 2 transmission bolts laying on the ground. I guess the beer ran out before they could steal the tranny.

Said old fart kept asking questions to the point where I said 'It's a $100 pickup. Take it or leave it, I don't give a shit but we're done.' He took it. I really, really hate selling stuff.

Reply to
rbowman

I have a 2016 Kia Sorento, bought new in September 2015, and a 2017 Toyota Tacoma, bought new in July 2017. Both key fobs died in April 2020 within a few weeks of each other. Fortunately, both used the standard CR2032 so I was able to use a 2-pack of batteries to fix both fobs.

I guess it's safe to say that I don't change batteries proactively, since there doesn't seem to be much point. Both fobs have a physical key that can be used to unlock the doors and the engine can be started by pushing the start button with the dead fob. As a test, I completely removed the batteries and they still worked fine. I only lost the wireless convenience until I replaced the batteries.

Reply to
Jim Joyce