206Gti engine keeps runing without key

Hi folks, my 2004 206 Gti (136HP) behaives a little crazy since last week. When you stop the car and keep the foot on the brakes you can remove the ignition key and the motor keeps running until you release the brake, the it turns the engine off. If you keep the foot on the brake the engine will run like forever, you can rev up the engine and so on. The only thing that turns off with the key is the cig.lighter power. Its not the wrong gasoline, I use 95Oct and 100Oct, no changes. Also, no error messages on the display, but I think its an electric problem anyway.

I am going to the garage within the next weeks, but if anyone knows anything about it, I would be happy to have some info before I give it out of hand (act. I dont trust the mechanics).

Beside that I am real happy with the car and performance.

Tnx

davecube.co

Reply to
Dave Cube

This sounds silly, but it could be to do with your brake lights if they are of the double filament type. Try removing them (the bulbs) and see if it still happens. If that cures it, fit new bulbs because one of them is shorting between the filaments.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Hello Keith,

Keith, you are THE man! You were 100% right. As I looked at my backlights, I recognizied that ALL lights&brakes were on like a christmas tree(for a week). I removed the fuses of the brakelights one-by-one to find the faulty part. The right side double filament had a short (whisker) between the backlight and brakelight. Bought a doublepack lamps for 3.13Euro, so I have one spare.

5days worried, 5min work, endless happy tnx davecube.com
Reply to
Dave Cube

Glad it worked. Years ago my father-in-law said that Fiat were clever because, when he braked in his 128, the front lights came on so that pedestrians knew you were stopping. Needless to say, he had the same "shorting lamp" problem.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Well there's a thing. That's a good one that is. Nice cure.

Reply to
Malc

"Malc" wrote in news:rLENg.18084$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

forever,

Just read this. I had the same on a CZ 175 motorbike. When I hit the back brake the headlight came on. It was the rear double filament bulb that was shorting. This was about 25 years ago. Bulbs haven't changed much. :-)

Reply to
Tunku