Keys for 2006 Sienna

I just bought a 2006 Sienna - didn't pick it up yet. It comes with two master keys and keyless entry transmitters and one valet key.

About how much do spare keys cost? What about a spare transmitter? Can a locksmith copy these keys or must I get it from Toyota?

I want to carry around a spare key for the door in case I lock myself out. Is there a separate key for the ignition and doors as in older cars or is everything on one key in the Sienna? Can a locksmith duplicate the key such that it will work to open the doors even if it won't start the car?

I know that GM cars have keys with resistors in them and the resistor is necessary to start the car but a plain copy will serve as an emergency door key. Do Toyota keys work the same way?

Reply to
JAG

go here

there are at least two toyota sienna techs that answer all types of questions...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

I believe that the keys have a chip that enables you to start the car so if you want the key to work in the ignition, you have to get the key and transmitter from the dealer. If you only need to open the door with the spare key, then you can go to any hardware store or locksmith.

The master key works every lock and the ignition. The valet key works in the front doors and ignition but not in the glove box.

Yes

Reply to
Ray O

The keys have a transponder chip embedded inside the key. You must have this type of key for the car to start. Last time I checked the keys were around $120 +/_ so don't lose your keys. I had a spare key made up just to open the door and I keep it in my wallet. I also have one of the spare immobilizer keys in a special location inside the car just in case I lose my key in which case I would be able to get inside using the non immobilizer key which is in my wallet to get into the vehicle and get to my spare immobilizer key, whew. lot of farting around with these new cars.

BTW, the key is a very clever device for it's invention. These things are being used more and more in a wide range of products.

Reply to
The beneVolent dbu