fiberglass on floors?

I am rebuilding a 68 impala convertible and the floors are rusted out, I am making new ones from 22g sheetmetal but am concerned about them rusting out again; and was thinking of covering them in fiberglass sheets after they are in (inside for sure and possibly ouside as well)

Will I have any problems with this? the only thing I can really think of is heat but am un-aware if this is actually a problem or not for the fiberglass?

Thanks for any help Brent

Reply to
HAKSAW

POR15 paint followed by a good seam sealer will be easier and should protect it better.

The fiberglass would be good for gaps you can't cover with sheet metal, but it's more trouble than it's worth otherwise IMO.

Reply to
Brent P

POR-15 used in place of resin with fiberglass cloth laid over thin but solid floors does a real nice job of stiffening them up. I used two layers of thin fiberglass cloth (mat, actually, not the thick woven stuff) and POR-15 on the weak spot in the floor of my '62 Stude and it worked great. (PO had left a battery on the floor... for 30+ years...)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

POR15 won't stick to new metal, it just falls off in flakes.

The fiberglass will seal it if done carefully.

Mike

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

POR 15 will stick to new metal if you use their etching solution first. Works a treat.

Brian

Reply to
Brian