POR-15 VS RUST BULLET

I need to purchase a rust-preventive coating. I know everyone swears up and down about POR-15. However being the anal analytical person that I am, I checked around for proof, and looking for the best product for the money ($32 a quart is NOT considered cheap for me. I mean, if I'm going to dish out that kind of cash by golly it better be f*cking good stuff). I found a product called Rust Bullet

thatsounds very impressive and it gives test results and comparisons withother brands. Anyone have any advise to share?

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

kline49

hate it for you when you go to buy paint for the exterior of the car....expect

90-150 per quart....

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Reply to
Ben Boyle

excellent choice Ben....my 74 was painted with chromabase when dupont first introduced the line...it was ten years old when it went to the crusher...was still shiney and smooth....i too paid 300+ back then...so it has definitely come down some...

Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

crusher...was

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Very True... and I am prepared to bite that bullet when it comes to it. I've never used either product, and I am happy to hear that 1 quart goes a long way. (thought I was going to need a gallon or more) The question still remains as which one is the better product? (since they are both roughly the same price.) Just wondering if anyone else have used the other product. Thanks for the input. (next question is "Painting"... and boy will I need help there) BTW Can one spray POR-15 or is it too thick?

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

................You can thin it out with xylene and spray it but the cyanide based compound (cyanoacrylate?) that makes it harden is very very toxic and will do major damage to the lungs of anyone who breaths in even a small amount of the mist from a sprayer. For this reason alone, I've moved on to other products that are easier to use safely. If you can set up a properly ventilated place where you and anyone else who might be nearby is protected from this stuff, then go for it. Once it's properly applied, it's great stuff.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

THANKS Tim.... I'll definitely remember that. (HHhhhmmmm... suddenly trying to spay it sounds like a very BAD IDEA.) Is it much thicker than paint?

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

Spay?

;)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Yep... Spay N Neuter.... BAD IDEA Okay on animals/Pets...... kinda thinking about it also for certain prisoners so that they can procreate and contaminate the world with their genes

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

CORRECTION: "....so that they CAN'T procreate and contaminate the world with thier genes..." THANK YOU!

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

.................It doesn't come out of the can any thicker than most other brushable paints but you do need to cut it down a little for spraying. Once it's exposed to air and moisture, the isocyanates that make it harden so well, start reacting and degrading the brushability of the can's contents. Even after you've sealed the can again, the shelf life at that point is fairly short. In a well ventilated area, it's not very dangerous to brush on and it does cover pretty well and is rock hard once it's cured. Used carefully, it's a good product. I just don't like working with it because of the safety issues. Another problem for me is that it blushes if applied in temperatures lower than about 65 F. which is a problem in my garage during the winter months.

...................The one product that I like the most for treating rusty metal is Zero-Rust paint. I find it much easier to use safely than POR15. It goes on great and looks terrific, even when you don't carefully follow every recommendation like temperature, humidity, etc. Here's their website:

Tim Rogers

I just knew that was coming. Only the source was in question.

Well..... not really.

;-)

Reply to
Max Welton

There's a reputation at stake.. can't keep quiet when such a challenge is presented :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I buy POR-15 in the six-pack of small cans, for about US$33. When you open one, you usually finish it in a few small jobs. Harbor Freight has a case of 36 one inch chip brushes on sale for US$6 until December 1. Good buy if you plan on painting a lot of stuff. As you don't want to try to clean a brush you used in POR-15.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

Too toxic. You need special equipment to spray (respirator stuff). I looked on-line and did not see the six pack of cans. Their web site sucks, the catalog is much better.

The silver manifold paint is cool if you are replacing or cleaning up an exaust manifold. I did my Chevy manifolds, and am real happy with the results.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

I trick I use when I first open a quart of POR 15. I pour it into 8 Baby Food Jars and seal them immediately, except the one I am using a the moment. The others I turn upside down and store. Like wine if stored upside down no air can enter. Also wear eye protection when working with POR. I did my entire underside of my car then looked up to see the job and a blob of POR Silver got me in the eye. I freaked thinking this stuff works with moisture and I am going to go blind. Well I ran into my house grabbed the sprayer hose that is used for dishes in the kitchen sink and blasted my eye. Because I got it fast enough it cleaned out and all I got was a stinging and bloodshot eye. If I was not near a hose I am sure I would be blind in that eye. Personally I have tried everything, and nothing works like POR. Don't get me wrong, even POR does not meet my expectation on some rusted areas, but nothing comes even close. My friends floors were pitted and had some pin holes. We used POR silver with tape on the underside to keep the POR in the holes and the floors came out like rocks. Also I took their (POR's site ) advise and used POR SILVER with fiberglass mess to fill some bad rot and it worked better then Resin and the fact that I could not be sure all the rust was out of the area, using POR worked out perfect.

Save your money on anything to paint on exhausts, nothing I have found works. Even the POR Stuff. I went Stainless Steel. Joe

Reply to
Joe Cali - Next Generation-USA

I used POR-15 on my 62 vw sedan daily driver. One qt was enough for the wheel wells, underpan, inside floor areas, inside doors, front hood area, front chassis & suspension components and had plenty left over for repairing holes, battery tray, bumper brackets, and toe nails. Expensive but great stuff! Four years later it's still looks perfect. You must follow the metal cleaning procedure for the best results.

ogg

Reply to
ogg

"and toe nails. Expensive but great stuff! Four years later it's still looks perfect."

Oh, Darling,,,, :0)

J.

Reply to
BergRace