Foggy Plastic Headlight Lens

Has anyone found a good method of restoring the clarity of plastic headlight lens? At $300 a pop, I'd rather not have to replace them.

thanks, Don

Reply to
D. Gerhart

Shep

And once you do that you will need to restore the UV resistant coating or they will rapidly break down.

Something like "Gloss Plastic Shield UV"

should do it, this is a clearcoat designed for use on plastic signs to keep them from being disintegrated by UV. I haven't tried this myself, and I think that the idea of re-applying the UV coating on plastic headlight lenses hasn't yet made it to the automotive aftermarket, although it's been done for years with commercial signs. So you will need to experiment, preferably on some old lenses from a wrecker.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

There are a number of commercial products out there. Search on 'headlight polishing kit' and you will find a number of them. You can try plastics shops or detailing in the yellow pages for a local source. Dan

(This account is not used for email.)

Reply to
Dan Beaton