2000 Nissan Maxima Catalytic Converter

My car is at the dealer right now and I've been told it needs a new catalytic converter ($990). Its a 2000 with just uner 80K miles. I have been seeing information suggesting that it should be under warranty for 8yrs/80K.

If anyone has a 2000 Max, can you look in the owner's manual and let me know the details on the warranty for catalytic converter?

Thanks.

Chris Hurley

Reply to
Chris Hurley

Do a web search. I *think* EPA requires emissions parts to be covered for that long. A web search should sort it out.

Reply to
David

Are they just going by the codes or have they actually tested the converter? A bad rear O2 sensor can set a code for the cat when there is nothing wrong with it.

Reply to
Steve T

Yes, it's covered for 8/80. See the following for more details. Also includes who to contact if the dealer balks (although a call to Nissan USA should be all it takes):

Dan

Reply to
Jon Smith

Reply to
Jon Smith

If you had an CEL/SES light ask the dealer to tell you the trouble code or you can have it read at Autozone or other parts stores. That should point to the cat. Ask the service writer to check Nissan's tech bulletins. There's one code in particular, P0430, that solves most cat problems by updating the computer's (PCU/ECU) software. That's also be covered by the 80,000 mile warranty and take's 30-60 minutes to fix. Visit another dealer or perhaps Infinity if you're not getting anywhere. Good luck.

Reply to
jmmontalvo

I just had that software loaded today, Maxima 2K 98112 miles. $157.24 What a Rip

Reply to
SayWhat?