Fuel Level & Odometer Readings Through OBDII

Does anyone know whether the fuel tank level and the odometer value is readily availble through the OBDII connector? I'm particularily interested in their availability in current model (2004) cars. I've been trying to research this but have been getting contradictory answers. An auto parts sales person tells me that the OTC Genisys Tool can retrieve these values for all GM's, 50% of Fords and some Chryslers for model year 2004. I contacted OTC tech support and the technician I spoke to told me that their Genisys tool does not support fuel level and odometer but he did say that the Tech 2 tool does for GM vehicles.

So I find out who manufactures the Tech 2 tool (Vetronix) and contact their tech support department. The Vetronix technician informs me that some vehicles will report fuel level and some will report odometer through the IPC or BCM. Anyone know what IPC and/or BCM is and how accessible they are?

Basically, I'm hoping that fuel level and odometer are available for all 2004 domestic vehicles but I'm getting the feeling that this is not the case. If it isn't the case, would one say most new vehicles should have report them or not even half have them? Can anyone shed some light on this or perhaps point me in the right direction to research further?

TIA, Norm.

Reply to
Norm

It is not required for the ECM/PCM to monitor these values nor is it required to communicate them to the scanner. You can read these values only if all the following conditions are met:

  1. The ECM/PCM monitors the value
  2. The ECM/PCM puts the value in its data stream
  3. The scan tool you use is able to read these elements of the data stream.

IPC = Instrument Panel Cluster BCM = Body Control Module I think it's unlikely an aftermarket scanner will have the ability to read either of these, but I'm unfamiliar with them, so I don't really know what breakthroughs they've made.

Reply to
hyundaitech