Function of spark plug

What is a good spark plug? In terms of performance.

Function of spark plug is to give a spark to air+fuel mixture. If a $.99 spark plug is doing its job, giving a spark, then why use an expensive one?

As far as platinum spark plugs are concerned, they are only for the longer life of plugs. Nothing more fancy about them. Am I correct?

Thanks

Abbas

Reply to
Abbas

Well sometimes when you put in a junk plug the engine will start to miss right away or only last a few weeks or months before engine doesn't fire on all cylinders. I've seen many cars that didn't run because of cheap plugs. I seem to see alot of Bosch or Champion plugs that cause problems. At the shop where we work we recommend NGK for Japanese cars, with Nippon Denso coming in second. For GM we usually use AC Delco, and for german we use bosch. And sometimes we use champion for chrysler, and Motorcraft or autolite for Ford. Sometimes I see problems with Bosch in a Japanese car or champion in a Japanese or German car.

Reply to
edmechanic

You are pretty much correct... the more expensive plugs seem to harp on the point that they last longer.

Professor

Professor

Reply to
Don Stauffer