Gasoline smell inside vehicle.

There is a smell of gasoline inside my 1981 ford vehicle. Obviously it has a carburetor. When I drive the vehicle one can smell the gas also my passengers at times state there is a smell of gasoline inside the vehicle. Sometimes it is worse then others. At times even if I have a window open you can still smell the gas.

At times while driving I stop the vehicle open the hood and try to determine where the smell is coming from. there seems to be no smell of gasoline under the hood, no sign of dripping gasoline anywhere around the carb.

I thought perhaps the gas cap seal, not so no smell there. Checked for dripping gas under the vehicle, nothing there.

Any tips where to check?

Any assistance to solve this problem much appreciated.

Thanks in advance Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

At that age, often is a rustout at top of tank.

Need to pressurize tank and check under car

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
Thomas Moats