Gasoline smell inside vehicle.

There is a smell of gasoline inside my 1981 ford vehicle. Obviously it has a carburetor. When I drive the vehicle one can smell the gas also my passengers at times state there is a smell of gasoline inside the vehicle. Sometimes it is worse then others. At times even if I have a window open you can still smell the gas.

At times while driving I stop the vehicle open the hood and try to determine where the smell is coming from. there seems to be no smell of gasoline under the hood, no sign of dripping gasoline anywhere around the carb.

I thought perhaps the gas cap seal, not so no smell there. Checked for dripping gas under the vehicle, nothing there.

Any tips where to check?

Any assistance to solve this problem much appreciated.

Thanks in advance Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

A carb also implies a mechanical fuel pump up on the engine.

If the suction line from the engine to the tank gets a pinhole leak in it, it won't drip out on the ground, but it will seep enough out to smell raw gas.

You should do a visual inspection of the gas lines and look for the stain from the leak.

Mike

Denny B wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Also if the fuel pump diaphragm has failed it will leak gas into the crankcase, if your oil level is high and smells of gas then replace or rebuild your fuel pump. Obviously change the oil also as it will be thin.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You probably have a gas leak. Since you have already looked under the hood and found nothing, follow the lines that go under the car and see if there are any leaks along those lines.

------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

If the pump diaphragm has failed would you not know this as you drive that something was wrong. Or would the drive and acceleration still be steady?

Denny B

of gasoline inside the

Reply to
Denny B

They can partially fail or start leaking before they blow out.

I have seen more than one oil sump half full of gas with the vehicle still running ok.

Mike

Denny B wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Check charcoal canister to see if it's faulty or not. You don't see gasoline stain; so it could be vapor. Good luck

snipped-for-privacy@spr> >There is a smell of gasoline inside my 1981 ford

Reply to
Matt

Same here- but the rings were destroyed by the time the idiot owner figured out what was going on. Gasoline is a rotten lubricant....

Reply to
Steve

Yabbut it makes the rebuild real easy as all the whirly bits are squeaky clean :)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Is there a way to check the charcoal canister? I disconnected the hose from the engine then blew into the canister it did not seem blocked.

Apart from replacing the canister how do you check it?

Thanks Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

One way you check it is by opening the hood and sniffing. If you smell gas under the hood and there are no other leaks, the canister could be saturated with gas. If you pull it out and it reeks of gas, it is likely not working.

Mike

Denny B wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

For sure its gas.

Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

Are you sure it's gas and not exhaust?

Reply to
Live25hred

Right, That's what I am goint to say. Mike's answer is even much better. I expect your car has a EGr valve, gasoline will be burned more completely. BTW, exhaust is CO & NO. CO should be ordorless. NO does not smell like gasoline. Good luck. Matt

Reply to
Matt