Nissan check engine light.

Hi,

I have had my check engine light on for some weeks now. I have been unable to find any problem yet but there is one thing I would like to know. A couple of weeks before, I had the same problem. I replaced the air filter since it was quite dirty and the check engine light went off. What I would like to know is, does fixing the problem reset the ECM code or is the code retained until the code is reset manually?

thanks

Pete

Reply to
Peter Sheriff

JimV

Reply to
BIG TEX Collectibles

Peter Sheriff wrote in rec.autos.tech

If your light went off, then it probably cleared the code, although it may retain that code for a while. Since your light came back on then you probably have another problem. The check engine light comes on when there is a problem with a sensor. You need to go to someplace and get the code read. Autozone will read it for free. Other car parts places may or may not.

Reply to
Dick C

Nissans retain the code for a while after the problem goes away. The light will turn off after a prescribed number of drives ("starts") if the conditions are encountered that were present when the problem was first detected and the problem is no longer present.

If your light is back on, you should get the codes read to see what it bothering it.

Reply to
E. Meyer