Gaylord.

On the web, Gaylord Cars

I remember way back in the 1950's reading an article in a Mechanix Illustrated magazine about those cars.

If somebody started manufacturing and selling them again, I bet they would sell like hotcakes. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3171.bay.webtv.net:

Maybe in San Francisco. Create a new sort of mob...

Hell of a name to use these days.

Reply to
chuckcar

It isn't a bad looking car though.

Robin, your car is ready!

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3173.bay.webtv.net:

Looks liks someone got the designers of Studebaker and the Corvette together who then had a brawl over the design.

Very nice looking car, but with that angle at the front, it surely would become light at the front at high speeds?

Still you can't knock the look of the interior.

So, the car was "stolen". I'd just let it be if I were the family for the sake of maintaining information about the cars that *do* exist.

Reply to
chuckcar

I remember seeing a pic of that car years ago and my first thought was who's going to touch up all the stone chips inside those coves? I guess that's a car that you look at more than drive...

The Studebaker connection isn't that far-fetched as Brooks Stevens went on to facelift the Hawk into the GT Hawk in 1962, among other things... (he also created the Excalibur, which was kind of cool, but also apparently inspired a whole mess of neo-classic kit cars which missed the whole point of the exercise...)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

At first glance the car reminded me of the Facel Vega which was built during the

50s and 60s. It was an expensive luxury car, French made, ultimately failed.
Reply to
hls

I remember the Facel Vega cars.They had Chrysler V 8 engines.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Indeed they did, and used either Chrysler two speed automatics, or a manual tranny , I think made by Pont a Mousson.

Reply to
hls

During the 1950's and 1960's French company Hotchkiss built some Jeeps under license from Kaiser Corporation.In World War Two there was a Willys Jeep assembly plant under the ground in England.Stuff like that has always been interesting to me.

Yep, France has built some interesting cars in years past.Delahaye, and so on.

I want one! I have always liked the old Art Deco style. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Ford of Canada built a lot of Jeeps during WWII. They were built in Windsor Ontario, right across the river from Detroit. The Canadian Army used them. To tell if a Jeep was a Ford Jeep, all a person had to do was look at the head of a bolt. The Ford Jeep had the Ford logo embossed on almost all of the bolts holding it together.

During the lead up to the invasion before D-Day, some of the Canadian soldiers were pissed that they had to have the American Military Star on all of their Jeeps/trucks etc.. The American Military was in the command position leading up to and including the landing of D-Day. All vehicles were to have American Stars painted on them, regardless of which army was operating them. Some Canadian soldiers, out of protest, painted the five point star (the stars on the rear quarter panels) upside down on their Jeeps!

Reply to
M.A. Stewart