New Tools.

I was reading the Car Clinic section in my snail mail February 2010 Popular Mechanics magazine.

Powerbuilt Digital Torque Adapter, cost about $50.00 (for calibrating torque wrenches) and, OK Spark Plug Sensor. Magazine article doesn't give the websites of those two tools, easy enough to look them up on the web.

I don't use a torque wrench often, I want to buy a OK Spark Plug Sensor though. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

What does the spark plug sensor do? Indicate you have a spark plug threaded into the hole?

Reply to
Don Stauffer

They make (or at least used to make) a little inductive pen-like thing that you could hold next to a sparkplug wire. It would light up if there was high voltage current flowing through the wire indicating that the plug was firing. I used to have one. It has been years since I used it. I doubt I could find it. I have used an inductive pick-up timing light for the same thing. Clamp the pick-up over a spark plug wire. If the timing light fires, the plug is most likely firinig. Just shift from plug wire to plug wire until all are checked.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

They were (are?) known as the Champion Firing Indicator. My two are actually CT-436 versions, although they bear the same patent number as in the below YouTube video.

Heron McKeister

Yep - that is exactly what I have (had?).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I have one of those inductive pen light thingys, for checking spark.Another factory made device/tool I have looks sort of like a spark plug and it has an alligator clip on it.

Have you ever got a shock from a lawn mower spark plug? That is another way to check for spark plug voltage.I don't reccomend that though. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

$219.95 for an OK Spark Sensor.They are Proud of that little jewel.I reckon I don't need one after all. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I got nailed by my '55 in the process of converting from an old points dizzy to one with a MoPar pickup and "orange box." The difference between the two is one you can feel.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel