civic stutter

I have a 1999 civic si. I have recently noticed some stutter occuring. Strange thing is that it usually only happens in 4th gear and at slower speeds when i dont have a lot of gas pedal applied. Also noticed that it is consistant with inclines as it always happens at the same place on my way home from work. I am also hearing very noticeable clicking (presumably a relay) sometimes when i apply and back off the gas pedal. Is this indicative of a relay on the way out? I have changed plugs, rotor, fuel filter, plug wires seem ok (sprayed some water on them). Will be doing PCV valve (when i find out where it is). Car has 130,000 miles on it. I also have a CEL on with an evap leak code. Any ideas?

cheers

Mark

Reply to
Mark

check for the great honda ignition switch recall.

in future, take all the junk off your key ring so there is as little swinging weight on the key as possible, and make sure you manually return the key fully to the "run" position after starting rather than just release it. this ensures there is full, not partial contact. [partial contact burns out the switch.]

Reply to
jim beam

Could well be. I remember from WAAAAAAAY back mechanix illustrated or some such that had the "garage" stories, somebody comes in with a car that performs for dad and son, but refuses to perform for mom and daughter. Ends up being dad and son have huge key rings which over time wore enough slop into the ignition switch that without the weight of the huge key rings it wouldn't make reliable contact. of course, mom and daughter have little female key rings, because they're not responsible for lots of things, the way men are.