Gearboxes

Is anyone aware of a gearbox with a very low first gear, around 4 or 5 to 1 and a very high top gear, about .5 to 1. The only one I managed to find that was close is a T56 but the first gear is not low enough. Any suggestions appreciated.

Smokeyone

Reply to
Smokeyone

The gearbox from a 1989 F250 with a 5 speed has 5.72:1 first and about .7

5th. This is a ZF S?42 gearbox

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

Thanks Erich for the idea but .7 is not a high enough gear, I really need .5 or pretty close. Any other suggestions unless of course other gears in other gearboxes can be swopped into a f250 box to make a .5 ratio

Thanks

Smokeyone

Reply to
Smokeyone

Smokeyone wrote: "Kathy and Erich Coiner"

Since you wanted 4:1 or 5:1 in first, and would be getting 5.7:1 in first, you could always put this through a diff with a 0.71:1 ratio.

This would give you 4.07:1 in first, 0.5 in first.

In other words, multiply your current rear end by 0.71. That is, if you have 4.11 gears, switch to 2.93 gears.

Cheers, Dennis

Reply to
umblazew

Thanks Dennis but I would be back to having gears specially cut. I do not think I have a winner here.

Smokeyone

Reply to
Smokeyone