wide gearbox ratios

I am hoping someone can advise me if such a special gearbox exists that can be mated to a rover v8. Must have a very low first gear 4 to

1 or more with a very high top gear, around .5 to 1. Failing this I am thinking about having special gears cut for the r380 box. I have had a rough quote and its not to much of a shock but have not gone into the details yet, such as spacing in the box etc etc.

Thanks

Smokeyone

Reply to
Smokeyone

Thanks for the response but I thought the t56 first gear was lowish and not in the 4 to 1 range but the .5 top gear would be perfect. Am I looking at the wrong version of the t56...............

Smokeyone

Reply to
Smokeyone

Talking of Lotus Carltons, I still haven't heard from Lotus about that Estate conversion......... :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You can fit a wide variety of boxes to this engine by using different bell housings. The RV8 is actually a Buick engine ( 192ci nailhead ). It might be worth looking into what bellhousings are available then choose a gearbox based on that.

Reply to
Mark Craft

OMG!

-- Chet

Chet

I'll tell you, if Colin Chapman were alive, he'd be straight on the phone to you. No he would. Really. ;-)

Reply to
Jamesy

Good lord this insane obsession runs throughout your family?

Christ almighty....

Reply to
Dan405

Indeed He is.

Actually, it didn't back then, but my old man wanted an Alfa, but his 50,000 annual mileage was saying, "diesel" instead.

However, after some persuasion, dad swapped his Astra 1.6 for a 2.0 DTi about eight months ago. His fiancee swapped her Sirocco for an automatic Bora TDI. :)

Reply to
DervMan

Well, they also said they'd never make a FWD Jag. But we all knew better, didn't we?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

And the less said about the FWD Tranny the better.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

And they'll NEVER make a Lotus estate

-- Chet

Chet

Nah, the front wheel drive Transit makes sense for the short wheelbase versions. It's easier to drive, it rides and handles better*, it'll have lower frictional losses too.

*Given that most people are used to front wheel drive, this holds true, sadly . . .:(
Reply to
DervMan

Damn you with your negativity and use of the word "NEVER". Lotus *need* to make a Lotus Carlton Estate, as a retro looking competitor to Audi's RS6 Avant. They know it makes sense. They just haven't got around to getting in touch. Well, time is running out, I'll be selling it for an Audi soon.........

Well, they had their chance - their loss :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

snip

You know, you're actually starting to make a /little/ sense ;-)

It would be /very/ good for Vauxhall to make a Lotus Omega, including estate. As long as it had a similar preposterous power output to the Audi RS's and Merc AMGs and was a good bit cheaper than either, it would sell on it's historical connection to the LC, if nothing else!

Reply to
Jamesy

What about the Vaux/Opal EcoSpeedster (take one Elise Chassis, give it a Vaux VX220/Opal Speedster body, whack in a TD engine, then tune it)

MeatballTurbo

Sod how it drives. FWD gives much more usable space for a van, and a much lower floor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

But why? Lashings of low down torque and a slushbox that knows how to get the best from the engine?

Her average is currently 54 mpg . . . she lives in London . . .

Reply to
DervMan

so why do they sell so many mercedes with diesel engines and auto boxes then i wonder :)

Reply to
dojj

I want my car to be in the same gear my head is :) I will never buy an auto unless i have to for any reason (like i knacker my arm or something). My mum and dad have an 827 auto, and whilst its nice and easy to drive (that big V6 obviously helps here) it was just too boring, and i never felt quite like i was in control. Don't get me wrong, i'm sure autos are liked by some people and i'm sure lots of them are very good, just not my cuppa :)

Same with turbo diesels, i'd far rather have a turbo petrol cos they're more powerful :) Low down torque isn't really how i like to drive either, i like having to rev a little - adds to the fun :) My car makes peak torque at

3,000rpm, and max power at 6,000, which is nice, cos it gives me some lowish down grunt when necessary, but i can also rev the nuts off it (doesn't limit till about 6,800-6,900) if i like to extract the full 90bhp :) (i realise thats not much and by comparison to many my car is slow, but i'm young and insurance kills me, plus, make the best of what you've got, its fast enough to get me in trouble, and 3 figures on the clock is easy....)
Reply to
Dan405

Oh, it's one of these new fangled tiptonric boxes, too, so you can drive it like a manual, too . . . :)

[snip]
Reply to
DervMan