Geo engine replacement. 2 Questions

Hi

I have a 95 Geo Metro 1.0 L 3cyl. It burns oil. I have a lead on someone selling a good working 96 engine. I won't put it in myself, but I would like to buy the engine and hire the job out.

My questions are: 1) Will a 96 work in a 95? 2) Is there an issue if the engine comes from an automatic car to be installed in manual?

Thanks RT.

Reply to
RTS

You would have to check, but I'm pretty sure the 1995 Geo Metro had the OBD I system, while the 1996 received the OBD II. If I were you, I would call around to whatever shops you are considering, and ask them about the engine swap. Or, wait here and a let others give you ideas.

Reply to
80Knight

I checked in USA nationwide via

They show that the 94 and 95 should interchange, but no 96 interchange is shown.

That doesnt mean it cant happen, but is an indicator you really need to check deeper before purchasing that engine.

Reply to
HLS

I made an error on the year. My lead is a 1998 1.0 3cyl to be installed in a 1995.

Sorry about this.

Reply to
RTS

My reference

showed no compatible engines other than for the

94 and 95 series. This does not mean a 1998 wont work, but is strongly suggestive that there can be a problem.
Reply to
HLS

Will it physically fit? YES. Will it be a direct drop in? NOPE. Different engine controls and OBD standards make it a PIA to do.

Depending on where you are there are LOT's of the 95 version available CHEAP!

Reply to
Steve W.