GM recalls 1.3M Chevrolet, Pontiac cars.

What Bob Celeste said. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I wonder how the EPS recalls, and the drive by wire recalls will add up when compared to the "old-fashioned" hydraulics-related steering and solid linkage throttle controls. I took my Lumina in for a steering recall about a year a year after I bought it as a 6 or 6 year-old. Think it was maybe a 30 buck fix for GM timewise, and I don't recall if they actually replaced anything. Might have just checked something.. Don't know the answer, but look at this from the above link,

"GM spokesman Alan Adler said it will take time for the automaker to get 1.3 million new power steering motors from the supplier, JTEKT Corp., and GM will notify car owners when the parts are available."

I haven't priced any of this new stuff, but this looks like a VERY expensive proposition for GM, both in part and labor. I'm guessing the cost could be more than to do the LIM on a 3800 or

3.1. Just a guess. Of course steering and throttle are safety related and they can't avoid the recall, as they did with the gaskets. Wonder if they gave that deep consideration before switching into another mode of throttle and steering control. I recall reading earlier when I was looking into EPS that the motor and control unit for the Cobalt are an integrated unit, and replacement is a bear. Might be wrong though. Haven't seen anything here from real mechs on EPS, but I may have missed it. I'm starting to get real nervous about replacing my current cars, which have none of the new stuff.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

If the power steering and the power brakes on my two big old vans, 1978 Dodge and 1983 Dodge, vans conk out, I can cojure up some Armstrong and Footstrong steering and brakeing Real Quick! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

JTEKT Corporation.

I saw it on the Radio. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I wonder who has to pay for the new motors, GM or the manufacturer?

Reply to
hls

That probably depends on several things:

- what was in the purchase agreeemnt

- are the motors defective when evaluated against the purchase specifications

- were the motors used in a matter inconsistent with the purchase specification (for instance, does the GM placement subject them to a more hostile environement than listed in the purchase spec)

- did the motor supplier make unauthorized changes to the design or manufacturing process

- etc....

But the single most important factor is - who has the best lawyers.

In the case of the defective cruise control deactivation switches, Ford is expecting Texas Instrument to pay for part of the cost of the recall. Probably Ford and Texas Instuments had something written into the contract that specified how the costs would be shared. I'll bet GM has something in their contract as well.

Ed

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

There are many different vehicles on recall, including some 18 wheelers and some schoolbuses too.

I remember the old 1946-1947 Ford schoolbus I used to ride in.That thing couldn't go fast enough to get out of it's own way. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Obama. He bought the damn company.

Reply to