grease types

Is there a difference in grease applications? After recent work on the inner part of one driveshaft, the mechanic packed it with a pinkish grease. Prior to this it had black grease (probably 2 yrs/10,000 miles old). I'm about to work on both shafts now. I have a can of hi-temp red lithium based wheel bearing grease available. (GC- LB) Are these interchangeable? Can they be mixed? Or should I clean out all the new stuff in the recently repaired axle which only has a few hundred miles on it and is uncontaminated? I will definitely clean out the 2 year old grease. The recently fixed axle just needs a little to top off.

Thanks

Reply to
Anthony

the grease container will have info on it conducive for selecting the proper grease for your application.

grease is cheap for the job it does, and grease shouldn't be mixed, or applied to a dirty environment.

mho vfe

Reply to
fiveiron

The best place to check may be one of the forums at

because I'm sure they've covered this topic. There's also infromation there about grease compatibility.

I once bought an EMPI brand CV joint boot kit containing grease that was very light green instead of the usual black, but EMPI told me it was the right grease and contained the extra moly needed for CV joints. One grease company, Sta-Lube, said that their regular grease didn't have enough moly but that their CV joint grease did (3%? comes in toothpaste-style tubes, not cans or cartridges).

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

what is the best grease to use for an automobile chassis - grease points? ball joints, steering arms, steering linkage, etc. - hood latches, door locks.

what is a #2 grease?

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

#2 greases refers to the N.L.G.I. specs. ie. as SAE 10W-30 in motor oils.

Reply to
rudyxhiebert

"Best greases for....?" Synthetic Multi-Purpose. Brand? First two guesses don't count.

Reply to
rudyxhiebert

It's thicker than #1 grease. That's all I know.

Have you checked that

website for info about grease? Also there's
and other oil company websites. And then there's the owner's manual.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly