Need professional help.

I?m not a machanic by any means and that is why I come to here. I have a 2001 Camry le with a 2.2 litre 4 cylinder. I have been hearing alot of tapping and rattling coming from what I thought was the timing belt, or near that same area. I figured that maybe the belt was becoming worn or just slapping around. I looked at the belt and it looked fine (not slapping around or even worn). I kept looking around and I think that the noises are coming from inside the valve cover somewhere. I did not see any bolts holding the cover in place so I could not take off to look inside. What do you think that problem is. Could it be a lifter or something like that? Help me. Thanks

Reply to
squalid23

you didn't mention mileage. Now, did you remove the front engine cover and actually look @ the timing belt?One thing that we see quite often on those is a failed water pump bearing. It makes a grinding noise that comes from the from engine area.

Reply to
Qslim

Yeah. When my '80 Corolla's went it made a noise like I had never heard before. People were telling me bearings, etc, but a $65 water pump fixed it!

Here's the test I was given (of course, this was 22 years ago when the fan was attached). Grab the pulley of the water pump and try to move it side to side. You will probably feel it clicking. (Uh, the pulleys ARE still external and belt driven, right??? My '95 was...)

Reply to
hachiroku

Water pump?

Reply to
Liberals=Angry Losers!

"Qslim" wrote: > you didn't mention mileage. Now, did you remove the front > engine cover and > actually look @ the timing belt?One thing that we see quite > often on those > is a failed water pump bearing. It makes a grinding noise that > comes from > the from engine area.

I removed the plastic cover that goes over the timing belt. The car has 104,500 miles on it. The sound goes away when the engine exceeds

2500RPM. thanks
Reply to
squalid23

Alright, with 104k, it would be perfectly reasonable to suspect the waterpump. Your description matches every other customers that ended up having a water pump replaced. Take it by a shop. Any experienced toyota tech will be able to tell you if it is or isn't without opening the hood. We've all heard it a million times.

Reply to
Qslim