Non-flammable, gasoline-like fluid for injector testing?

Hi!

I am building an injector test rig for a friend and I wonder what you can use instead of gasoline for testing. Ideally something with similar viscosity etc, but not as flammable and irritating?

Reply to
AndersG

You might need to match characteristics other than viscosity to get an ideal model

Gasoline viscosities vary a bit, but are often in the range of 0.4-0.8 centistokes. Water is about 1. But water will have a different surface tension than gasoline. You might be able to work with solutions of water and alcohol to get closer to gasoline without getting too flammable nor too very toxic.

I also considered chlorinated hydrocarbons like trichloroethylene, etc, but then you have a whole different set of potential hazards.

Reply to
HLS

Thanks. Well look into it.

Reply to
AndersG

Water, alcohol and soap will let you get pretty close. The problem is you need to make sure you clean it all out of the injector before you leave the injector on the shelf. Water and iron don't do well together.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Kerosene or heating fuel oil or diesel fuel. They all lack the most volatile hydrocarbons found in gasoline, so they are not inherently as explosive.

However, when any of these are atomized through a sprayer, they *will* make an explosive fuel/air mixture for at least a few moments. You just won't get the persistent vapor cloud that you would from gasoline.

--Dave

Reply to
Dave Allured

Searching a futuristic computer network called the "Internet" for "fuel injector test fluid" returned several hits, including:

do_not_spam_me

:p I did Google before posting, but not for that particular combination of words ;) English is not my first language as those more perceptive of you might have guessed. Thanks a bundle for finding that for me and drop me an email if you want details of the electronics involved.

Reply to
AndersG

Try searching for Stanasol. This is also commonly used as a parts cleaning solvent.

Reply to
Dyno

Thanks. Well look into it.

I think a lot depends on your priorities, Anders. The Viscor fluids mentioned in the links are still hydrocarbons, and in a vapor or mist will have flammability and explosion hazard considerations.

The water solutions with alcohol can have corrosion problems. (The corrosion issues could probably be solved by adding appropriate inhibitive additives, which would be dependent upon your carburetor or injector materials of construction)

Diesel, Stoddard solvent, kerosene, etc have differing viscosities from gasolines, AND still the flammability/explosion issues, although not as hazardous as gasoline.

There is no easy choice.

We used to use some chlorofluorocarbon liquids (not refrigerants, but of the same chemical family) that might eliminate fire and corrosion issues, and could be a fair match for some of the properties of gasoline (I would have to check them out, honestly), BUT as you know many of these are environmentally objectional and some may have been removed from the market.

Reply to
HLS

Yes, my main concern apart from fire hazard would be the health of the operator since he is indeed a friend of mine ;)

Reply to
AndersG

I understand. We, in the chemical industry, work with some seriously hazardous and deadly materials. But, it is not the same when you turn it over to someone who may, or may not, have the same intense focus for safety that we might have.

If you build the facility well enough, then any of the previously mentioned hazards can be coped with...But, if this is for a small company or a hobbyist, the safety equipments and protocols are not so likely to be followed scrupulously.

Again, priorities.....

Reply to
HLS

I don't know how Mineral Spirits would match up with the viscosity of gasoline, but Mineral Spirits is fairly safe and inflamable, I think.It also a good cleaning fluid and will not rust iron/steel.Don't use Mineral Oil, that stuff acts like a laxative, if you ingest it.

Some things are explosive in a powder form.A sugar plant in Georgia recently blew up and caught fire.Back in the 1950s, a Nabisco crackers factory blew up because static electicity ignited the flour powder/dust in the air. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

A lot of things are explosive when in dispersion in air. Hydrocarbons of most types can form extremely explosive mixtures in air, including diesel, mineral spirits, gasoline, etc etc.

We had flour mills and storage silos explode because of flour dust in the air....

It is hard to be "completely" safe.

Reply to
HLS