Haynes versus Chiltons

Yup, that's my biggest single problem with Chiltons/Haynes - "Let's print one book that covers a little bit of 10 years, 8 models, 6 engines, and 4 transmissions, but doesn't cover any of them worth a damn."

That's my next-biggest problem with them - C/H says "Take it to a mechanic". Factory manual says "To rebuild the automatic transmission in the start by..." and takes you through every step, wiggle, and sideways jog in the process from removal to reinstalling it.

The "last straw" for both is their piss-poor photography/drawings that either don't show jack shit, or if they do, are zoomed so tight that you've got nothing for landmarks to figure out where the real-world incarnation of the bolt, screw, or piece that they're attempting to point out is actually located. Look at the picture, and it could be any of 50 bolts, located anywhere from the side of the engine, to under the carpet in the back seat floorpan, to somewhere deep in the guts of the transmission - But the picture doesn't give you any clue which one you actually want. Factory manual, on the other hand, usually has either drawings, photos, or both, complete with (a nod to Mr. Guthrie) "circles and lines and a paragraph on the back of each one describing the scene of the crime" that make it all but impossible for anybody but a blind man or a complete idiot (or maybe a completely blind idiot?) to miss "the right one".

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Haynes/Chiltons = *JUNK* for anything non-trivial.

The factory manual for your specific vehicle model and year is the only way to fly.

Reply to
Don Bruder

So.......what it wuz is wuz see...........

dude had his van towed in last week because his DIY"r buddy couldn't get the linkage "set up" on his newly installed JUNK YARD tranny...........

(Cussingmers concerns follow)

could I git duh linkage fixed....

oh......and could we please put the driveshaft back in tooooo............

(End Cussingmers concerns....or so he thunked)

so..........

i give em a call up on Fryday and tell him that "somehow" (???) ........ the manual valve in the tranny got itself bent all to h*ll........and the shift linkage "somehow" came loose in the case...... and now.......well .........now it's a money thing....

^ ^

0 0 Y O

so.......he says go fer it......git'r done.

so I did.

then today...i call em back up and tell him the valve bodies repaired, linkage is jest okee dokee.....and........ his driveshaft is reinstalled.

b u t ...................

there seems to be some problem with the crankshaft wanting to NOT turn.

(synopsis of ensuing conversation follows)

guess.....hmmm......well sure, i'd guess yer buddy done jammed that junkyard tranny in with the convertor not all the way installed and kinda, maybe, possibly, got the engine and tranny locked up like a vise......

(end synopsis of crying customer)

so then..........cussingmer comes to the shop with his "buddy" (???) that installed the tranny.........

low and behold.......

he's clutching his trusty, dusty, grime ridden, time tested, tried and true, "Chiton" manual......

^ ^ o o L O

truth ....not ....fiction

~MarshMonster~ you can Chiton yer Haynes....but yuh may pay the price of embarrasment

Reply to
MarshMonster2624

Bentley Publishers

makes manuals for several brands. Helm
makes manuals for several other brands.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

lists a bunch of BMW paper service manuals.You might also try on-line BMW parts vendors and on-line bookstores.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

T.I.H., I do the same. I've also found that the Chilton and Haynes are usually more than adequate for the type of work the average guy will take on. This news group has a skewed demographic in that most of whom I'll call "regulars" are far more skilled and experienced that the typical poster or reader and find the C or H incomplete, especially in the area of diagnostic procedures. FWIW YMMV

Reply to
NickySantoro

- Publisher of factory manuals for some makes.

- Automatic trans parts and diagrams
- Tools and other items for engine folks

Others?

Reply to
Steve W.

You might be right if it weren't for all the missing and flat-out wrong info found in every Chilton/Haynes book I've ever picked up.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

This is true, but in that regard I have often found the shop manuals to be pretty bad too.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Do Haynes still use a small block chevy in every engine rebuilding section?

Reply to
news