Help! E-350 won't crank!

Hi buddy has a 1999 E-350 Econoline 5.4 litre with 25,000 miles that the starter won't crank. Everything on the ignition circuit functions, I swapped in a new starter only to find out that the power to the "I" wire on the starter mounted solenoid is open when I select start. I checked the neutral start switch on the transmission, replaced with a new Ford unit. No start. Fuses, no specific start relay in the Owner's manual. Any idea on which direction to proceed is appreciated.

Thanks

Bush

Reply to
Bush

Let's start at the beginning.

Are you getting power out of the starter relay with the ignition in Start?

Are you getting power to the starter?

Reply to
saeengineer

Start at the battery and go from there.

-Is the starter solenoid getting voltage from the battery? If it is, maybe the solenoid is bad.

-Is the starter solenoid getting the signal from the key switch? You should see voltage when the key is in the "start" position on the small wire going to the solenoid. If you get nothing there, could be bad ignition switch or a broken wire along the way.

-Try "hot wiring" the starter motor and make sure that it works (bypassing the solenoid)

-If the solenoid is getting juice, then could be anything in front of that, a starter relay, something messed up with the steering column, etc. Keep in mind the heavy wire is always hot, and the smaller wire should only be hot when the key is in start position.

Scott

Reply to
Sc0tt