95 no crank (sometimes)

95 Maxima SE 5-spd 108,000 mi (purchased May 94).

Lately the first time I turn the key, the engine will not turn over (no noise, clock goes off during start attempt, but interior lights do NOT dim if on). Usually it cranks on 2nd attempt, but last night I had to turn the key quite a few times before the engine cranked.

Original starter (loping crank with dead spot) was replaced a few years ago. 2nd battery from 1999 (5v cranking) was just replaced last Thursday (cleaned battery connectors with wire terminal brush). Neutral switch was replaced earlier this year when backup lights did not work (they work now).

Any idea if intermittant no crank could be due to ignition switch, clutch switch, starter solenoid, or corroded wiring somewhere other than at the battery?

Reply to
David Efflandt

I had similar problem. It was the pos(+) cable from battery to starter. I hacked a new one, it had a few wires tapped off from it. If your solenoid only receives 11.9 volts it may click or do nothing. It needs 12 volts. It's easy to have a little voltage drop across that cable and not know it. If it's possible, get a decent gauge wire and attach one end to the solenoid terminal and secure the other end up by the battery. When it starts happening, throw a volt meter across the wire and neg battery terminal. Measure the voltage when you turn the key. Again, it needs to be aleast 12 volts.

Good Luck.

PM

Reply to
Patrick Moore