HELP! Hairline Crack in a Metal Fuel Tank!

My 94 Toyota Corolla has a one inch hairline crack in the bottom of the fuel tank that's leaking fuel. The vehicle has 140,000 miles and is in great shape. The crack is on the bottom, near the center on the tank. This part of the tank is flat. I used a fuel repair tank epoxy, after cleaning and wet sanding the tank to bare metal. The repair held for about a week.

I think the bottom of the tank flexes when fuel is added and by the vacuum created by the pump. The epoxy I used dries hard. Is there something that would adhere to the metal, but remain flexible and be fuel resistant?

Any ideas what would cause a crack on a flat spot?

Thanks,

Mike C.

Reply to
waxtrax242

A product called 'seal all' sold in hardware stores works very well on gas leaks. It dries flexible and will even seal a FI gas line crack.

Mike

Mike Romain

Your car is leaking raw fuel. IMNSHO, it's a Bad Idea to just repair a tank with something on the market. Either have it done professionally or better yet, replace the tank.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

This is the usual epoxy putty. It's fine for patches on side seams.

Yes, but if you use it, it will leak somewhere else in another week or two. Call a junkyard and see about getting a replacement tank.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

weld it! :rofl:

seriously though just replace it.

Reply to
mr_mushroom

Hey Mike...

Look into Moyer Fuel Tank Renu (Google?)

If this a car that you really want to keep, they will hook you up and get your gas tank right. Not to sure on the shipping cost of hazardous material (gasoline) with UPS, or the USPS, but these shipping people are pretty cool. They will let you know what to do and give you an estimate.

Write back you decide to use Moyer!

Good luck, Dave

Reply to
DaddyMonkey

About the average for that kind of repair.

Yeah, solder. If by some miracle, there's still a good old-fashioned radiator and gas tank repair shop in you area, they can solder the repair. They usually put a layer of expanded metal (leftover radiator core headers, generally) over the crack and flow solder over the entire area, filling in the voids in the expanded metal. The expanded metal acts as a reinforcement to prevent the area from flexing and re-cracking.

As you might guess, this is a process that requires a skilled operator (IOW, "don't try this at home"). The fuel tank will have explosive vapors inside it no matter how well its rinsed and washed, so the repair is usually done with the tank filled 90% full of cold water.

"Oil canning" due to pressure cycling of the tank, or just chassis vibrations when its near empty.

Reply to
Steve

I think the best thing is,get another tank. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Weld it up,

empty the fuel remove tank Drop about a golfball size piece of dry ice into the tank, wait a few minutes for the tank to fill with CO2

weld away.

Reply to
l390f

Profile:

View this thread:

hey i just wanted to say that it is possible to weld on a gas tank,I myself in amazement watched as one of my companions proceeded to weld on a gas tank!! "HOWEVER!" it is not wise to do if you do not know what you are doing!!

Reply to
thejuan2call