Hairline crack in Petrol Tank?

Hi again

I had an exhaust fitted to my Rover 214Si 1994 today and the mechanic said I had a hairline crack in my petrol tank OR the pipe leading into it as he noticed a spot of petrol on the bottom of the tank. Does this mean a new petrol tank or new pipe or can it be repaired cheaply as money is a bit tight at the moment.

Thanks

Reply to
Skint4sure

It *may* be a leaky piece of rubber hose between the tank and the fuel line in which case it will cost pennies to repair (But make sure you use proper approved fuel hose!)

If it's a crack in the tank it *may* be repairable using a special epoxy fuel tank putty. Without seeing the hole it's difficult to say.

I had a Mini van once with a *slight* leak. Upon investigation the whole top of the fuel tank was rusty and needed replacement.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPONiX

Get a cheap welding kit and do it yourself on the drive.

Disclaimer: Anyone stupid enough to take this seriously deserves all they get.

Reply to
SteveH

Thanks for your help fellas, what's a welding kit :o(

Reply to
Skint4sure

but make sure the tank's almost empty to get the right a/f ratio...

Reply to
jeremy

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

Many years ago my uncle welded up a petrol tank for a friend's Morris Minor (I said it was a long time ago). He poured out the fuel and then set the hoover on blow and shoved the hose in the tank for an hour before starting work.

Friend brought it back the next day - apparently Dick had missed a pinhole.

"I'm a bit busy at the moment - set it up the way you saw me do it, and I'll fix it this afternoon"

A few minutes later he looks up at the loud bang and sees bits of hoover raining down all round the petrol tank which was opened up like a flower, with his friend sprinting down the garden path. He'd left it on suck.

Reply to
Guy King

You're joking of course. I can't imagine much that is more dangerous. I've seen a tank that had been emptied, vented for two days, filled with water almost to the level of the filler pipe. It had a crack where it joined the tank. Within a second of starting to weld with a MIG, it went whoomph! didn't damage anything, but it sure made the welder jump. If nothing else, it just shows how difficult it is to remove all the fumes from a petrol tank. To do a tank on a drive with petrol in it would be madness. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Oxy acetylene bottles and torch, or MIG welder. Forget that idea though, unless you want to get rid of your car, and finish up in hospital, or worse. Use one of the proprietary tank repair kits instead. Never used one, so can't make a recommendation. No doubt someone will suggest a suitable one. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Well, yes.

You didn't scroll down, did you?

Reply to
SteveH

Have you first hand experience, or are you just guessing? Have you any idea of just how dangerous welding a petrol tank can be? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

**whoosh.......**
Reply to
SimonJ

Make sure its a very cheap set, you'll only be using it the once!

Reply to
SimonJ

No. Must admit it's not something I'm in the habit of doing, but the suggestion got me going and some others by the look of it. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Prexactly. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Neither, but youhave to have the right amount of fuel left in the tank to get the best explosion.

Reply to
jeremy

fibreglass it.

Reply to
jeremy

============== In theory you can repair a petrol tank either by welding or brazing. The recommended method is to steam clean the inside of the tank for at least 2 hours. This should clear out any dangerous petrol vapour. In practice modern tanks are so thin especially near the extremes of the pressing (the corners usually) that they are too thin to weld or braze.

The only tanks I've repaired successfully (by brazing) are motorbike tanks on which the petrol tap breaks away from the body of the tank. Motorbike tanks don't usually rust so they're usually a straightforward repair.

For the OP's repair one possiblility is 'PetroPatch' which is a bit like a puncture repair for a bicycle tube. I haven't seen these for years but I guess they're still available.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I've used similar stuff... to fix bike tanks. "PetrolPutty" or something like that.

Reply to
deadmail

Not very, how do you think they make them? Then again, welding a used petrol tank maybe more interesting.

Reply to
Scott

used chewing gum - double mint flavour works best.

Reply to
Jerry Atrik