help-need someone smart to tell me about water in gas tank...

Look, you have a tank with a hole in it. You KNOW that the tank needs to be replaced.

Now the tank probably has some water in it, BUT it has hardly any gas in it.

So, you got a tank that needs to be replaced, and right now it's almost empty, and what's left in it needs to be drained anyway. This sure sounds like it would be a GREAT time to replace your tank.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I still don't think he has enough water in his tank for the car not to start.

That said, the tank is leaking and needs to be fixed. For all we know, it could have a split in the line from the pump to the rest of the car and that's why it won't start.

However, I'm about 99% convinced that the gas tank has nothing to do with his no-start problem. If he drove his lumina through water deep enough to come in the top of the tank, that's about 2' deep. That's more than enough to bury the coilpack on the front of the engine and short out stuff like the crank position sensor. I'd be willing to bet $20 that if he checked for spark there's none to be found.

I had a 70 Buick that we took in a demo that sat over the winter and filled up with snow up to the top of the carb - the throttle rusted so bad we had to swap carbs after I basically broke the throttle shaft. We pulled the plugs, spun it over, brown sludge came out of the holes, put the plugs back in, poured some gas down the carb and it started right up... points ignition, wet plugs and all.

But hey, I guess replacing the gas tank is easier than checking for spark. ;)

Ray

Reply to
ray

water will not burn so if the plugs are wet it will not fire till they are dry, so pull the plugs dry them and with the plugs out turn over engine a few turns and blow all the water back out, reinstall plugs, pull the gas tank replace it and put in fresh gas and there will be no more problem

Reply to
brian70