power steering, which fluid?

Most places put Mercon/dextron in the power steering pump. It is red in color. But you can also buy power steering fluid which is clear. If the only difference is color why doesn't the transmission fluid bottles say can be used in power steering also? If they are 100% the same why hasnt some company labeled it as for use in transmissions and power steering?

My 1987 town car had ps pump replaced, the fluid was clear but had a green tint to it. What does the green color mean? If i had red transmission fluid in it you could not detect the color like with clear ps fluid.

Reply to
J J

i've been using tranny fluid for years in my power steering...and dono why they don't why they don't put for power sterring....but it works.

Reply to
Scrapper

They're not 100% the same, although to be honest I couldn't tell you what the differences are. They are *basically* the same, however.

I think a green tint generally denotes a mineral oil; check your manual to see if it recommends some different type of fluid than normal. It's important to use the right type of fluid; practically any fluid will work FOR A WHILE but you need to use the right type for the sake of all the rubber components - they may not be compatible with any given fluid, if it's not the one spec'd in the manual.

Which reminds me, I was going to flush the P/S in the Corrado... I think someone put regular P/S fluid in it when it's supposed to use the Pentosin mineral oil stuff...

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Several years ago, GM starting specifying power steering fluid. I kept using ATF because I didnt read the manual, and had to replace hoses and a PS pump.

Were the failures related? I dont know. Could be normal GM failure rates, but from that time on, if it says power steering fluid, that is what I use. (And I have had no more failures)

Reply to
<HLS

My very strong suggestion would be to just follow the instructions in your owners manual. And be sure to flush the power steering system periodically too.

Well, yes that is true. But I don't understand your point.

Reply to
John S.

Because FORD's are a different species

Nope, (close) not the same thing - some contain mineral oils and some do not - you cannot use mineral oil in your automatic tranns

The slight green tint is for leak detection!

Reply to
Daryl Bryant

Color means nothing, unfortunately. Refer to your owners manual for the correct type of fluid to use in the power steering system.

And its DEXRON, "dexTron" is not a word.

Reply to
Steve

Not in all systems. ATF will weep right through the rubber components in some systems (at best) or weaken the rubber until it false (at worst).

Reply to
Steve