Just started painting...HELP!!

I'm planning on trying to get my Defender painted this weekend and I've just tried a bit of the paint to see if it covers alright. It does, but as the roller goes over it the paint is coming away as long fine fibres. I'm using a normal gloss roller, has anyone got any idea why this is happening?????? Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

Roller? I thought you said you were painting the Defender, but you must have meant to say "fence".

Reply to
CraigB

What type of paint and how much have you thinned it?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Maybe he's painting the Defender through the fence.

Reply to
William Tasso

It's synthetic. The guy at the shop told me to use a 90/10% mix for spraying, which sounds thick to me, but I used that mix with the roller just to try it. Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes
90/10 is way too thick for rollering, you'll end up with orange peel effect. As i don't know the particular paint, i'd suggest taking a small amount and thinning to suit noting the quantities of thinner/paint. try on an old piece of metal etc before rollering the landy. Personally the few times i've rollered a vehicle using autopaint synthetic is to thin the mix to around 70 paint 30 thinners and recoated the following day after a light sandpapering with a 60 paint 40 thinners mix. As always though with painting, a clean environment is essential. I saw one fella smoking whilst painting!, not only very dangerous with the fumes etc but he dropped cig ash on the roof and simply rollered it in!

Jock

Reply to
justtherightm

Yes - you need it in a clean (sealed if possible) environment. I do a lot of painting of antique furniture for my business, and unless the area is completely clean and clear of dust, you get loads of dust settling on the finish, which then ruins it. I don't know about painting a vehicle, but I always paint with a brush as you get a better finish (if you buy a *good* quality brush) as rollers always leave a bubbled [orange peel] effect no matter what you do. I don't suppose it matters so much on a Defender, but it does on a piece of furniture! All depends on how fussy you are about the finish I guess.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

I've had good results with a roller, accepting it'll never be as good as a spay job. I cut in the tight bits with a brush first then roller the rest, do a pannel at a time and always try to keep the edge you are working to wet (which is much simpler with a roller)

John try it 50 / 50 and play about at that.

I also used a roller per side as they can get gummed up. I did the roof on the 101 prior to Eastnor with cheap rollers and the ends wound off. the moreexpensive ones are fine though, had no such trouble with Percy.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D