high rpm/coolant fan

I have the following problem with my 91 olds cutlass supreme 3.4. When I start the car in the morning the rpm will rise to the maximum. The motor runs so fast, I feel it will brake down. I switch it off, then I turn the ignition on and I can hear the cooler fan working, the temperature outside is around 0. Put it another way, if I turn the ignition key on without starting the car and I hear to the coolant motor running I know that I will go through this crazy business again, i.e to let the car run for a minute and then switch on and off the key until I can not hear the coolant motor running. Once I will not hear the coolant fan motor running I feel confident the car will start without increasing the rpm to the maximum. If I try to drive the car with so much high rpm it has very little power, and it will stall on the ramp. Any suggestions on how to solve the problem will be appreciated. Could it me the coolant temperature sensor? Could it be the IAC? Could it be the computer? What else could it be? Thanks

Reply to
sknipas2000

"sknipas2000" wrote

There could be a number of causes, but vacuum leaks at the lower intake manifold gasket were a very common problem on the 3.4 DOHC engine in your vehicle. I'd at least start looking around that area.

If you can get some carb cleaner or something similar, try spraying it down around the lower intake plenum area (not particularly easy on these engines.) while the engine is revving high and see if there is any noticable change.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Hello Ian Thank you very much for your reply. The problem still remains. I do not understand the correlation between high rpm and coolant motor running. While the car is cold and the outside temperature is below 0 and I just turn the key on without starting the car the coolant fan motor goes on (an indication that I will run in high rpm mode if I start the car). If I will go on to start the car the rpm goes very high, probably above 3000 rmp but the rpm on the dash shows zero rpm (the rpm indicator is dead in other words). I have to start the car 2 to 3 times before it gets in normal operation. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Reply to
sknipas2000