Hollywood's zany motor myths.

MythBusters put a raw egg in a leaking radiator.They started the engine.In a very short while the leaking stopped. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

You can get the same result (and for about the same amount of time) with good old black pepper, or cornmeal. (And if you're going to do such a thing, it's better, though still not a great idea, to separate the egg, toss the yolk, and just use the white)

Either way, it's, at best, a temporary fix, and at worst, a *REALLY* expensive band-aid.

(Think "Let's see... rip out the engine, strip it down, clean the crud out of the cooling system, rebuild, re-install... Aw, screw it - easier, cheaper, and quicker to just go out and buy a new engine or a new car...")

Reply to
Don Bruder

I prefer black pepper. Easier to clean out after. A half a shaker into a rad can stop some bad leaks. I was way back in the Canadian Bush and over 100 miles from a garage when I had a rad core split. I 'could' have taken the system apart and done a proper solder fix, but it was raining so I just tossed a handful of pepper in. That held for several months when I ended up getting a recore rather than fixing it again.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

I have used Bar's Leak before.It did work for me.I dont think I will ever be cooking eggs in any of my vehicles though. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin