shorter, softer than normal shocks avail?

I have a street rod that is using rear shocks that are from a 66 mustang -- this is a bayonett style unit with specs that are pretty typical....a lot of cars use this. the ride is way, way too harsh on poorly maintained roads. the springs are quite soft...so soft that they compress the shocks about 2" down...however the shocks are not bottoming out. they can't bottom out because they're just to stiff for the light car (it's a fiberglass model t).

anyone know offhand if there is a shock absorber that is about 2/3 the height and 2/3 the firmness of the shock? i have the koni adjustable versions on another car...but when I set them to the appropriate softness and try them on the steet rod, they're still a little too tall (compress a little too much at a stand still).

i'd prefer to keep it bayonet-style, so the rear suspension/mounts don't need redesign and/or welding.

Reply to
socal.penguin

just so you know the shocks are meant to be partially compressed at normal ride height. Not clear if you understood this from your message.

Monroe has a good online catalog of fitments, although for damping you're kind of on your own.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Monroe-matics, their cheapest shock, if a fairly soft shock.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Yeah, I'm looking for shocks that are 2/3rds the height of what i have because at rest, the car is using about 75% of the shock compression. not ideal, if you know what i mean.

Reply to
socal.penguin

Absolutely I do. I'd suggest poking around Monroe's web site, determine the length and mounting configuration of the shocks you have now, and look for a part number that fits your needs. then you can cross that back to an application, but I don't recall if Monroe's web site has a "where used" feature or not. If it doesn't cross it back to a gabriel application and check their web site to find the app. then you should be able to take that info. and get whatever brand shock you want at your FLAPS.

Here's where I started:

I had to do this for some Studebaker shock apps. a while back; I found that a Jeep CJ rear shock was exactly identical to the stock 51-56 Stude rear shocks except for a 1/2" longer extended length, allowing me to buy a full set of Bilsteins. (the fronts are Volvo 1800 or C1 Corvette, if you care.) Now I just need to come up with the $$$ for the Bilsteins :)

good luck,

nate

Reply to
N8N