Honda

Hello! Just looking for opinions. I currently have a 1997 Honda Civic Ex. I just had to put a new clutch in it and now the transmission is going bad. Some people have told me to sell it while others have told me to get a new car. It has 165,000 miles on it. I've been good about getting my oil changed. I've also had it tuned up regularly. This car has been awesome to me since day one just until recently with the clutch and transmission going bad all at once. I am a college student and I drive to my campus which is an hour from my house 5 days per week. Any thoughts?

Also I've had 2 shops look at it and this is how I found out it was my transmission. They've also told me its fine for me to drive it until it starts making a really bad sound. Some people have told me to drive it until graduation (1 year) and then get rid of it. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Reply to
SMunchkin2002

It would be very helpful if we knew what kind of problems the transmission is having. For example, if all is well except that it pops out of 5th, you can likely drive it forever using only 1st through 4th.

Don

Don

My advice: If the car is paid for, then throw some money in the bank every couple weeks and in a year buy a used transaxle from a junkyard and have a shop install it for you. A used tranny with a warranty would probably set you back about $300, and figure about that much having a reputable shop install it.

Chris

Reply to
halatos

My advice: If the car is paid for, then throw some money in the bank every couple weeks and in a year buy a used transaxle from a junkyard and have a shop install it for you. A used tranny with a warranty would probably set you back about $300, and figure about that much having a reputable shop install it.

Chris

Reply to
halatos

snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote in news:1156994812.747345.288170@

74g2000cwt.googlegroups.com:

Is the transmission whiny/howly or does it pop out of gear?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Reply to
SMunchkin2002

Don't need second gear...just wind it up high in first and go to third...I had a neighbor that drove his Civic for almost a year with the throwout bearing zorched...clutch was completely inoperative, had to start the motor in first, and float his shifts...and let it die as he came to a stop and put it back in first...

Couldn't believe the starter held on that long...:lol: Honda...amazing...

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

So is it a whine, howl, whir, what? Right now sounds like you have a bad bearing. The only fix for that is teardown or an outright tranny replacement.But yes, if it's a bearing you can drive the car until it sounds like a freight train.

Reply to
TeGGeR®