Honda Accord Codes p1259 and p0401

I have a 99 honda accord and it has been cutting out pretty bad while accelerating. Then the check engine light came on with these codes p

1259 and 0401. Where should I start, could these issues be related? I have never had to work on this car and it has right at 200000 miles on it but I need it to last a while longer. LOL So is this something I can fix on my own or not? Please any advice will help..............:banghead:
Reply to
Cook.4att.net.2qejct

snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.nodomain.com:

According to Honda: VTEC system malfunction.

EGR insufficient flow.

You can start by tellng what engine you have (L4 or V6). The V6's had known issues with EGR port clogging, leading to the illumiation of the MIL with a P0401 DTC. There is a TSB out on that (99-038). Even the 4's can clog up eventually.

The P1259 may be related to the P0401. Get the EGR looked at first.

Maybe, but only if you have considerable experience with this sort of thing.

Reply to
Tegger

I don't know much about Hondas, but when I see a variable cam timing code, the first thing I check is to see if there is an engine left. Cam timing codes are frequently set from slipped belt drives. If that is an interference engine, the egr might be the least of your problems.

Reply to
Steve Austin

Steve Austin wrote in news:46445bda$0$9912$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Comboverfish would know way better than either of us, but I'm guessing it's possible the 1259 may be being induced by the stumbling caused by EGR problems.

Reply to
Tegger

Too little egr won't affect acceleration. Too much egr is going to be an idle problem.

Reply to
Steve Austin