Honda Accord ABS

Father in law has an L reg Honda Accord, not sure which exact model, but it's a 2l non Vtec. It has an apparent ABS problem - in that the ABS light is on and an MOT is looming... Are there any common faults these suffer from, like wheel sensors?

The local Honda dealer wants to change the ABS control unit, at an extortionate price, but is this really likely to be the problem?

Just that if they don't fail very often, a trip to the breakers is a far more sensible option :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Sorry, that should be the Modulator that they are wanting to change.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Failed wheel sensors seems to be the most common reason for ABS faults. Unless the dealer has checked them and pronounced them as definitely OK, I'd be sceptical about their diagnosis. Might be worth your while to jack the car up, unplug rhe sensors, spin the wheels, and check their output with a DVM. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Thanks, got that planned for tomorrow ;) Also found a checklist for the pump and pressure sensor, hopefully that will give a better idea whether it's the module or not.

Car has only done 60K from new, so it might *just* be worth fixing ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Yes, there are very likely, they suffer with lack of use as a rule. We used to run the tester on these at a service just to run the pump up.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

First thing to check is that the brake lights work correctly as, yes, you have guessed it if a bulb is out then so is the abs, likewise the cruise control.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Has your car had the fix to the cam shaft area oil seal done? My P plate

78K Accord was essentially written off a year ago, as it had missed out on this recall job.
Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

Any more info on this? Just saloons or Coupe/Wagon as well? Should it get done with the cambelt change?

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

It's not mine, so I don't know... will mention it to the owner though :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Don't know for sure. I'd had the cambelt done shortly after purchase at

48,000 miles just to be sure. My car had the 2.2l engine, auto box and the wagon (Aerodeck) body and so was one of the last few to be made in the USA, when production of other Accords had switched to Swindon. When I mentioned my oil gushing problems here in January 04 (Google groups?), others said it should have been recalled for this well known problem and fix. (The 2.2l engine etc. leaves so little space in the engine area that access to the area necessary was impossible in situ, and I'm now driving an 1.6l Astra Estate - quite a change, but the Astra auto gear ratios are better suited to our motorways and performance is better!)
Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

Apparently the diagnostics show that the modulator valve for the os/f wheel is seized :( The wheel sensors check ok.

Lee

PS sorry, hit wrong button ;)

Reply to
Lee

Bugger. :-(

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Believe it or not, the Rover 600 is the same car but with (IMO) a nicer styled bonnet and boot. They even use the Honda engines except where a turbo is fitted! You should be able to get a new modulator block from one of those, or possibly even the 800 series...

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis