Power Steering Belt

I've got a leak in the power steering system of my 87 325 (E30/M20) and am waiting for parts to get here but need to drive my car in the meantime. In order to not ruin the pump I'm looking to take the belt off until the parts come. Is there anything I should know or need to look out for in doing this? Does anybody have instructions on how to do this? I think I should be fine but would feel more comfortable with instructions. Thanks!

Reply to
goali3903a

Make sure your life insurance policy is paid up for your beneficiaries..

Reply to
Woody

I have driven vehicles with no pump. They are much harder to turn than standard steering but as long as you are strong enough, I can't see any issues.

You will need to identify the hinge point of the pump and the usually slotted adjuster bolt. You loosen the hinge usually and then the adjuster to let the pump come loose. Some vehicle have a set screw on the adjuster that needs to be loosened first too.

Mike

Mike Romain

make sure the belt runs only the p/s pump and not the waterpump or alt as well. if so you are out of luck

Reply to
taz

I hope you have a lot of upper body strength. Without the pump your steering will be extremely difficult to turn.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez