Honda V6 engines and synthetic oil

Believe what you want. You are wrong.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

if i'm wrong, mobil's msds filings are wrong. i'm happy for you to show me otherwise, but you need to cite credible evidence.

Reply to
jim beam

I can see you believe in conspiracies. Exxon will not divulge exact numbers for reasons other than what you want us to believe. The below is what YOU want us to believe.

"10w-30 mobil1 is only 5% "synthetic"

Reply to
tnom

dude, read the msds. it's a legal filing. it says 5% pao. don't you want to "believe" that?

Reply to
jim beam

As are one line responses sans trimming.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

It does not say PAO's or poly alpha olefins are 5%. It says the POLYOFEFIN POLYAMINE SUCCINIMIDE, POLYOL is 5%

The below, about Exxon product number 481176-00 MOBIL 1 10W-30 and its MSDS being #194095 is quoted from this link:

Begin quote: On any MSDS, the section about the composition is to disclose those components with known harmful effects to people. The polyalphaolefins are NOT hazardous to people, so are not listed.

The POLYOFEFIN POLYAMINE SUCCINIMIDE is a cyclic organic compound with nitrogen and oxygen added. Think ammonia blended in with the oil, not the stuff you want to drink with cigars.

Reply to
tnom

eh? "ofefin" is a typo. look it up.

they mean olefin. as in polyolefin. and where the hell does ammonia come into it??? an amine is not ammonia. just like table salt is not chlorine.

Reply to
jim beam

Does it matter?

It's a quote. Would you like me to modify the quote?

The real substance of this thread is you are reading the msds wrong. POLYOFEFIN POLYAMINE SUCCINIMIDE is not poly alpha olefin

Reply to
tnom

it matters in that you didn't understand that it was a typo!

no, i want you to find a quote that is authoritative, not from some knuckle-head on a car forum that thinks an amine is the same as ammonia!

no, it's a succinimide amine of polyolefin. the polyolefin is the backbone of the chemical. the other stuff is just fluff that affects molecular weight and perhaps surface adsorption properties. the "alpha" is just morphology. in the absence of iupac nomenclature, you can't say for sure /what/ it is.

jim beam

Indeed, anyone 'skilled in the art' would recognize this as a misprint of 'polyolefin'.

Compounds of this sort are usually employed as dispersants or emulsifiers.

Reply to
<HLS

They mean POLYOFEFIN

POLYOFEFIN exists. See links below

tnom

let me get this straight:- you want to /ignore/ federal govt chemical compound database info in favor of typos from cheap chinese manufactured goods? ok, time to move along...

Reply to
jim beam

Let's get this starlight. You won't admit that Mobil 1 is primarily a PAO based oil. Instead all you want to do is argue about a supposed typo in order to deflect the exposure of your mistaken interpretation of a msds.

Reply to
tnom

snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

jim may be right here about the typos. Take a look closer to the bottom of the first link you gave, where it says "Caster Specifications". There I find the notation: "Wheel Type: Polyolefin".

When I Google for "polyofefin" or "ofefin", I find very, very little, mostly automated "on-the-fly" pages that result from Google's deals with advertisers.

Reply to
Tegger

with respect, there's /nothing/ on the mobil web site that tells you that. they tell you it /could/ be, but not that it is. thats the legal fine line. and the msds confirms it - if you know a little chemistry and can spell.

if you can cite any authoritative analysis on this subject, i'd love to see it - appeals to "belief" don't work.

Reply to
jim beam

Sure there is, try this :

Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?

Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.

begin 666 spacer.gif K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``````````"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
Mike

snip

POLYOFEFIN is a PROPENE POLYMER. See the msds below

POLYOFEFIN in cellular form is the dielectric in some coax cables.

POLYOFEFIN is not POLY ALPHA OLEFIN (PAO)

**************************************** Per Mobil: Mobil 1's base stock is full synthetic. Mobil considers a full synthetic oil as a group 4 PAO base stock. Base stocks per Mobil are typically 75%-85% of total.

tnom

snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

With the introduction of "propene" to this discussion, I am now prepared to believe you that ofefin is an actual substance, not just a typographical error.

I found this -- rather abstruse and dense -- document:

I think it unlikely that of all the obscure technical terms present in this document, that "ofefin" should be one one that is misspelt. Especially considering that I cannot find any other significant spelling errors therein.

It appears that olefins and ofefins are closely related, but are different, sort of like you and your sister.

Reply to
Tegger

i discussed that article in detail. why do i have to repeat myself?

Reply to
jim beam

ignoring the fact that "ofefin" does not appear to be cited in any chemical compound databases, that article cites "internal ofefin" once and "internal olefin" 20 times. all in the same context. i therefore stick with typo. but i asked on sci.materials.

Reply to
jim beam