semi synthetic oil and changeover

I have an 88 toyota pickup and am thinking to switch over to semi-synthetic oil. I am thinking of doing an engine flush first and then going semi-synthetic. It has 190000 Km and loses a bit of oil in the summer, no burning of oil though

Any web resources, information would be greatly appreciated.

I am curious about the following:

Is it a good idea at this age vehicle? Should I go full synthetic? Do I need a special Filter? Do I need to do an Engine Flush? Once I switch over, can you go back to regular oil --I imagine one should stay semi synthetic.

Many thanks in advance

Reply to
gp

Don't bother unless you intend to extend the time between changes, or intend to run in very hot or very cold conditions.

Don't flush.

If you change go with a full synthetic.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

I run in Calgary AB so cold not so hot

why full vs semi

Reply to
gp

why full vs semi why not flush?

I am in calgary so cold but not too hot

Reply to
gp

why full vs semi why not flush?

I am in calgary so cold but not too hot

Reply to
gp

I wouldn't recommend switching to any synthetic on an older engine like yours. In my experience, they tend to use oil when using synthetic. One Toyota I had just turned 160k miles so I decided to use synthetic on it. It started using up oil. When I switched back to standard oil, it didn't use any oil like before. The molecules on the synthetic are apparently smaller and leak through seals. It doesn't seem to be a problem on the new engines.

Don't flush. Those things are designed for engines with heavy sludge. Unfortunately, the liquid is so thin that it is actually very pernicious to your engine as the parts aren't protected by the oil like it's supposed to be. Again for the wellfare of your engine, DO NOT FLUSH!!!

Reply to
Viperkiller

Very much appreciated, I will not flush

Reply to
gp

You don't wanna do that at our house, I did that by accident once and my wife nearly kilt me...

Reply to
Gord Beaman