How bad is it, in the grand scheme of things, to install a directional tire the wrong way?

rather, I feel that a tall profile couples to fewer layers if plies increases those odds and, thusly, one has to reduce speed (unnecessarily) even if the suspension and the rest of the car can take the beating (or it's a beater car and you don't care if it can, which was my case when non dohnut 175 13 70 tire got sidewall damage from a pothole or a series of such on moonscape rally grade freeway far, far east close by the tahoe twin lake

so it had to be welded and an inner tube went in for safety

the government had fixed that rally grade road since then. it's kinda sad cause it would've been a great sidewall stress testing grounds for the tire manufacturers

(for those that care to sell anything in this market anyway)

Reply to
AD

I'd let the two of you to fornicate in this branch of the trollingdiscussion but I'm equally clueless here either. Why are sidewalls bias ply?

Reply to
AD

weird that goodyear even bothered to specify the number of plies, if I had to guess that was the tread unless that was a tire marketed for an off road use

the definition of normal is dependent on the locale

Reply to
AD

Of course you have... that's how you determined donut spares are "no more useful than nothing at all"... -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Actually that was on a vehicle equipped with a full sized spare identical to the tires delivered with the vehicle, for which I was very appreciative.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

logic fail!!! amazing logic fail!!!

Reply to
jim beam

not all plies, but you need bias to transmit torque. look at wire spoke motorcycle wheels - they use tangential spoking for the same reason. [undriven, unbraked works as pure radial, but most are braked, driven, or both.]

Reply to
jim beam

i must add to this. contrary to what i said earlier, and in agreement with what nate observed about only one ply, i have done some fact checking and it does indeed appear that some of the cheapest tires are only one radial ply. this is somewhat surprising not only given the above, but in terms of reliability too. i intend to look into this further, but conventional wisdom is that you need a tangential component and therefore multiple plies for the reasons stated.

Reply to
jim beam

I have in front of me a Continental donut T135/80R17

Sidewall: 1 ply Rayon Tread: 2 plies Steel 1 ply Rayon

For an example of the type of wheel clamps that I was referring to earlier as being damaging to alloy/chrome wheel barrels, I was over at my friend's shop yesterday and his tire changer is a John Bean T900, it has exactly the kind of clamps I hate. He doesn't have the soft pads for it as they were an optional extra when he bought it - much like most shops who do not cater to enthusiasts or detail freaks. AFAIK the tire machines that Snap-On sells are relabeled John Bean models.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel