How do I remove this panel

Hi All,

This is the panel I complained about the sealer pealing on:

How do I remove and reinstall the thing?

Also, can I spray an additional polyurethane sealer over it to provide extra protection from sunlight?

Many thanks,

-T

Is this on the inside of the vehicle? I ask because the image at

shows what looks to be a compression stud. That is, like the studs used to hold the interior panels onto the doors, they are ribbed studs with a washer-like head. The washer head slides into a slot in the panel and the ribbed stud presses into a hole. The ribs provide the mechanism for keeping the stud in the hole. You remove the panel by prying outward on it to pull the ribbed stud out of the hole.

Usually I put a small pry bar (most curved end) underneath the panel to pry up on the panel while using my hand to pull out the panel. This is to try to not damage the ribs too much or to tear the slot in the panel the washer head of the stud slides into. This assumes you are going to reuse the panel, like when you have to remove the interior door panels to get at the glass window and mechanism or the door locks.

The image you gave at the etailer doesn't list the parts it shows in the

2nd image on the page you gave a link. Tis a pity since they might have their own part number to find out what is that washer-headed stud they depict to use with that panel. You might want to ask them for a parts list for their graphic layout of that assembly.

I found another graphic layout of this assembly that has links to the various parts shown in the image but it is a Russian web page. It's at

If you click on the washer-headed stud, it says it is a "clip". So it looks like what I mentioned: a washer head that slides into a slot in the panel part that either has ribs or a flexible pregnant bulge that pushes into a hole. There are probably tools to help pull interior panels away from the doors or inside of the car body. I find just using a small pry bar (to help pull or leverage away) and getting my fingers underneath to apply even and gradual pressure to pull away the panel usually works. Sometimes not for some parts. I had to build a pull tool out of bandiron (aka strapping tape) and electrical tape to pull the panel along the roof next to the windshield (because they were metal wedges in the panel that pushed into holes into the car body and were tough to pull out of the holes).

Ah, at the same page you linked to, I clicked on the "Glass & Hardware" link in blue text. That gave me a clickable list of parts. I clicked on "5" for the clip and scrolled down the list to #5. Alas, it looks like the stud or clip comes with the panel probably because the stud is expected to get damaged when the panel is pulled off. Once you pry off the panel and if the stud gets damaged, you can wander around the car parts shops since some carry an array of such type studs. You might not find the exact same stud but there might be one that's close enough.

This isn't an interior panel? I would think an exterior panel exposed to the sun and whose paint had flaked would have more than just a press-in stud to hold it onto the car body.

You would have to sand the plastic panel and use vinyl spray paint to recoat it. The plastic parts will flex so the paint must do the same. Watch the following video for some pointers on painting plastic parts. The prep work is what takes the most work and time. This seems to be an axiom with all paint jobs: prep determines result.

VanguardLH

Might find out here:

Complete service manuals only go to '04 Forester. While site is Russian the manuals are in English.

Reply to
Frank

I can't figure out which manual. Can't read enough Russian. :-(

As "Your Name" suggests, put it in google translate:

Been a while since I was there but unloaded all the manuals for my '03 with no problem.

Reply to
Frank

This is body manual:

Frank

Hi Frank,

Not finding that pillar. Rats!

-T

Hi Vanguard,

Than you!

This is the exterior pillar between the passenger window glass and the back side glass

-T

I tried. It is tedious to look through this stuff.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Since this is such a pain did you think about just plastidipping the part and leaving it alone?

Do you have a picture, I wonder how this thing looks 'live.'

Basia

2000 Impreza L Coupe 2013 Forester XT
Reply to
abjjkst

No pictures. It looks like come clear coating has started to peal and bubble.

Since it is a plastic part- no worry about corrosion, I would consider plastidipping it for a fix.

Plastidip is so easy to apply- you just spray it from a can onto the surface, and around it, then peel off the excess from surrounding area (google it, plenty of videos on youtube).

It stays on for a year or two, maybe longer.

Visually plastidip is very pleasing and many colors are available to match. It takes 10 minutes to apply two, three coats. If you screw up just peel it off, and redo.

A can costs around 8 bucks at Pepboys. Armor-all has Black, White and Clearcoat plastidip equivalent, its called Custom Shield. Same thing just in a bigger can

11 oz vs 8, or so. 8$ at Pepboys, 12$ at Walmart.

Basia

Reply to
abjjkst

This is a good one on how to apply.

Basia

Reply to
abjjkst

If you are into good looking guys this one is even better:

Basia

Reply to
abjjkst