How far can I drive w/o a driveshaft?

Hey everyone,

89 YJ, 4.2

Rear driveshaft blew out of the Jeep, and a bolt got stuck well enough that I need it on a lift to get it out...

I have a buddy with a shop about 5 km's away, will my transfer case make it that far? The fluid spills everywhere when I try to drive it, so that worries me.. alot...

Regards, Chris

Reply to
Christian Fry

One if these YJ guys will chime in for you, but if I were in your shoes I would not drive far at all. I believe you can cut the top off a coke can and affix it to your rear output shaft and hold in the oil for a short time. Or can you have your buddy pull you that far?

Reply to
fletcher

Yeah, I'll get it on a float. It's a heavily patrolled area by the ministry, so it's not worth risking the chain.

I'll just have to wait the few hours until my buddy isn't busy!

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Christian Fry

I wouldn't drive at all it if it's loosing gear oil. There is only about 3 pints in there anyway.

Reply to
JimG
35" BFG MT's on 15x10 Centerlines
Reply to
JimG

"Christian Fry" wrote in news:9KJ0c.2940$i snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Borrow a trailer or hire a truck to haul it to the shop. It won't cost over $50, and your jeep is worth a ot more than that.

Reply to
Barry Bean

Hope I didn't damage it already!

1 mile, never over 35 mph... *crosses fingers*

Chris

Reply to
Christian Fry

I believe a WD40 cap will cover the opening, or a pop can cut in half with a hose clamp or plastic zip ties to hold it on.

There is no pressure in there, you just need to stop the leak and a plastic bag with some plastic zip ties should do for a short run.

Mike

Christian Fry wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I've driven mine like that to get off the trail. Duct tape a spray can lid on to keep leakage to a minimum. The 231 transfer case has an oil pump to keep everything lubed up even if the level drops some. If needed stop couple miles and top off the fluid with ATF.

Jeff '91 YJ, '00 XJ

Reply to
Jeff Lowe

Reply to