Ignition lock cylinder removal / repair 1992 190E 2.6

The ignition lock cylinder appears to have worn out. For the last year the mechanism has appeared a liitle loose. Now the key will not unlock the ignition.Working the key back and forth finally allowed me to go home. Any ides on how to remove and replace the ignition switch.

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

What car do you have? There are two versions...

With key in position 1, put a straightened large paper clip into the tiny slots that lines up when turned to 1... push it in and wiggle up and down until all the way in. Other version has two slots... both holes must be pushed in with two paper clips.

With single hole version, try to grab the black armor and turn counterclockwise to loosen and remove. Then the tumbler can come out with that paper clip still in there.

Two hole version... should pop right out unless I forgot another step.

Reply to
Tiger

Remove the cylinder now! Usually there is only a short time between the first sticking episode and complete failure. The task is not so bad if you can turn the key and very expensive and time consuming if you can't.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Get it out now or you're looking at close to a $1000.00 to have it drilled out. After you get it out you can remove the "tumbers, I call them gates" but leave the key retainer in. That way you don't have to spend abut $200.00 on a new lock but it'll make it easier for thieves to steal your car. So just lock the doors.

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek