Camry transaxle Replacement

Hi all, I am in the midst of replacing the two transaxles on my 91 Camry FWD 4 cylinder US made vehicle. I have managed to remove the transaxle from the hubs, but I can't figure out how to remove it from the transmission. Can anyone enlighten me, I would be greatful

Gordo

Reply to
Gordo

Gordo, I just went thru this exact same exercise on my wife's '93 4 cyl, what I eventually found out....after much anger and the temptation to throw things.......was that the intermediate shaft, the shaft that goes from the right side drive axle into the transaxle, does not necessarily need to be replaced when the drive axles are replaced. The inner cv joint boot can be opened up, and the new driveaxle can be installed onto the existing intermediate shaft, as the shaft itself and it's bearing rarely fail (it's usually the outer cv's that go, shortly after the boots split and let the dirt and water in). I tried to remove the intermediate shaft too, I figured what the hell, I paid for it, but the bearing was seized into the cast motor mount bracket, and it was not going to come out. All of the above only pertains to the pass side of the car, the drivers side is easy, once the wheel hub has been removed from the driveaxle and dropped out of the way, the axle can be pried out of the transaxle, there is only a split ring holding it into the trans. If it doesn't cooperate, pry on it and gently tap on it as well to get it moving, it will "pop" out, and the new one should "pop" in. Good Luck, Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Ed I will give your suggestion a try. Thank-you much for the advice. I'll try it tomorrow and let you know how I do. I did throw my pry bar across the garage.

Regards Gordo

Reply to
Gordo