My 2003 truck is rusting

My 2003 has rust. I had chrome wheel well covers put on by the dodge dealership where I bought the truck new. Also had moulded dodge mud flaps put on.Put these on to protect the truck from stone chips.

Just a couple weeks ago, I took of the flaps off to clean them. Some sand got trapped inside the flaps and washed them. Then I decided to take the chrome wheel well covers of to see if anything needed cleaning. Found the paint was bubbling and peeling in two spots. About the size of a silver dollar. Where the holes were drilled to fasten the mouldings, the paint around them was rusting.

My local dodge dealer (who didn't sell me the truck) took pictures of this and sent them out to the area rep. They tell me on Thursday, that Dodge will not fix the rust. Its not the fault of the truck. The installation of accessories is not covered. So who ever drilled the holes to install the guards will have to cover the problem. Had two estimates to have the four fenders pained about $1300. Now the shop foreman, where I bought my truck at Dodge City in Saskatoon, is going to talk to the same area rep.

I know Dodge will tell him its not the trucks fault, that the holes should never been drilled. Question is: Dodge sells these mouldings through parts so how are you suppose to install them, screws come with them.

Anyhow I know I'm going to be stuck with the painting. Got to get it fixed, can not have it get worse. I'm going to get the truck painted even if I have to pay for it.

So, anybody out there, don't put those moulding on. Salt and sand gets between them and the paint.

Friday, went out and drove a 2005 ford F250, crewcab. Very nice riding truck. Might have to go Monday and price it out.

Dodge has really disappointed me, after 5 dodge trucks, maybe time to switch. dale

Reply to
Dale Yonz

Yonzie:

The "Mopar" molded splash guards come with screws that have a sealer on the threads to prevent this very thing from happening. I would mention this to the dealer and he should mention this to their rep as well. If you would have installed aftermarket splash guards, I would say you are on your own, but since you installed Mopar accessories, they have an obligation to help you out.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Dale, before you go to ford, take a 05 CTD for a spin.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Yeah, by all means, trade in your truck because someone installed some fender trim incorrectly. Who exactly are you trying to spite here?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Yea, that makes sence. Dodge screws him with damage that they caused with their parts and service so he punishes them by buying another and more expensive Dodge, yea, that will teach em, LOL.

Reply to
TBone

It was not just someone, it was a Dodge dealership and they used Dodge performance parts. If they don't back up their work or parts, only an idiot would stick with them.

Reply to
TBone

Right... so instead of either fixing the problem and continuing on, or going back to the people who screwed up the installation and getting them to fix it (as they should - they're certainly at fault), he's going to take a bath on either selling or trading the truck, losing at least three times what it will cost to fix it. And while we're on the subject of fixing it, a $1,300 paint job? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the rust behind the trim, which is why he didn't notice it until removing the trim? If so, who really cares if it's an exact match or not... mask the area off, sand the rust away, shoot it with a good rust-inhibiting primer (out of a can), then put on a coat of 'close-enough' top coat, and put the trim back on. There... problem solved - for about $30 in materials and a few hours of work.

But that aside - my original point was that getting rid of the truck is stupid. Sure, by all means, never do business with that dealer again. But getting rid of the truck impacts no one but himself.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Dodge will fix it ... you may have to chew a little ass ... but they'll take care of it. BTW, if you think switching to a Ford will fix this type of B.S. you are sorely mistaken. You will lose your ass on the sale of the truck you have now ... and you'll pay an average of 5k more than a comparably equiped Dodge.

I had a Ford truck a few years back. It had the 1 year/12000 mile warranty. I took the truck in for some issues with the brakes that were not wear related. The truck had 11750 miles on it. After leaving it with them for 3 days I went to pick it up and nothing was fixed. By the time I got back the dealer I had 12050 miles. They refused to fix it under warranty because I was over the 12k mark.

I'd still own a Ford, just not from them.

Craig C.

Reply to
craig

The splash guards were not the problem, I had the chrome wheel well trims installed by dodge and they were not mopar parts. So dodge won't do anything, I have to afte the dealership.

So this afternoon, I talked to the shop foreman, and he is still waiting to hear from dodge.

Here in Sask they mix salt and sand in the city for icy streets. Inside the moulded mud flaps, they were have filled with sand. This was far down enough that it did not touch any paint.

I would recommend anyone who has any trims on, to take them off now and then to clean out any cunk. dale

Reply to
Dale Yonz

I got the cummins, I really like it and get good mileage. Today drove to Saskatoon, 80 mile trip from the farm, was reading around 21 mpg. I priced out a 2005, they want 18,000 diff with taxes. The trucks up here are around 59,000. With the new staff pricing incentive on 2005, it comes down to around 52,000.

Reply to
Dale Yonz

No one Tom, just telling you what's happening.

Like I said, the Ford was a lot better riding truck, had more room (talking about a F250 crewcab Lariat, I have a Laraime 2500).

Reply to
Dale Yonz

Tom, I'm not going to put on the chrome mouldings back on after it gets painted. Today, I talked to bodyshop. They have to paint the whole fenders. The mouldings on the top edges rubbed the paint. I tried waxing the marks off,but they still show up.

Its the salt and sand that gets into these mouldings, so I'm not going to take them off and put them back on during the winter when I wash the truck. The screws that they used to install these mouldings, were badly rusted. Had philip screw heads and some had to drill out.

Next question????? What can a person do to protect that narrow piece of fender, the inside lip from stone chips??

Look at the Ford, some gm, they have a plastic trim factory installed around the wheel well. I had an 97 expedition with these on, had no problem with the paint or rust.

Reply to
Dale Yonz

They want 18000 difference on a new 05.

Reply to
Dale Yonz

Ooops, sorry... I misread your OP.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Dale,

Check out

or
and go down the red listed 'other applications' and you will find "General Automotive; Jeep floorboards, Van interiors, wheel well undercoating, motorcycle fenders (underside), body panels as rock guard protection, etc"

That was Line-X, this is Rino.

or
shows how they do simular, but will color match.

Reply to
FMB

Hey...aren't that using galvanized panels on the truck doors now???

Just curious.

Reply to
Fred

Dale, There are times when common sense applies and this is one. Yes, the installer should have known better, but so should you. Anytime the paint and or the zinc coating is violated, you risk this problem. When I received my

2004, the first thing I did was put the truck up on jack stands and looked for all those things the factory didn't paint and properly protect. The factory had done a pretty good job in comparison to both Ford and GM and it still took me 3 days to dissassemble, paint and reinstall. Ultimately the vehicle is yours. You bought it and you also bought all the problems or advantages that come with it. Step up to the mirror and address the guy you see and tell him to assume responsibility for his actions. Furthermore, if you use this as justification to switch to Ford and a clearly inferior product, you are in denial. Steve
Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Nothing more to say after reading that they were not Dodge parts?

Reply to
Boxed

Ok Steve: what would you put on your truck to protect it from stone chips? Like you got to have mud flaps, so you have to drill a couple of holes to install them, right.

How about protecting the wheel well lips. Do you leave the metal bare and use touch up the paint once in awhile for any chips??? I'm asking these questions because I'm going to get it painted and not putting anything back on.

I have the mopar running boards, they are ok and they are mounted to the underside. They help prevent damage to the rocker panel.

Fmb, suggested xliner, will look into that.

As for assuming responsibility for my actions, you are wrong on that part. Dodge sold me the wheel well covers, even though they weren't mopar, and installed them for me. Like if they told me not to put them on and why, I would of never had them put on. Yesterday, the sales manager told me that they now realize they should be taken off once in awhile and cleaned. They are finding out I'm not the only one having trouble. Only mine the paint started to lift and surface rust is showing up.

And also, they are still installling them.

And I'm not in denial, Ford trucks are not an inferior product.

Reply to
Dale Yonz

Yes, but they still sell them and install them.

Reply to
Dale Yonz