Is it a fuel gage or a fuel gauge ?

Reply to
Alora Duncan

Alora,

I thought that you were using gauntlet/gantlet as another example of a common word confusion that has resulted in a linguistic shift; I didn't realize you were yourself confused. Within living memory (mine), if you spoke and wrote "correctly," the gauntlet was thrown down but you ran the gantlet. Now the spellings and pronunciations have merged again, with gauntlet finally declared the winner, to the regret of history and etymology buffs everywhere. However, American Heritage Dictionary has a usage note at gauntlet that sheds quite a bit of light on this.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Margulis