Is oil in cans completely a thing of the past?

I have one of these metal oil funnels with the piercing point and squeeze handle to push the can onto the pierce point, is this thing
officially an antique? Trying recall the last time I saw motor oil in a paper can.

I don't know, but I still have a can of 30W Esso here that you can use it with.... --scott

brassplyer wrote:

Yes, it definitely is! I had a few cans of non-detergent oil that a friend gave me- old cans. Went to an auto parts store to buy a pour spout, and the kids there didn't even know what I was talking about. The store no longer has anything like that.
Finally, some charitable organization was having a "garage sale" in an OOB big box store, and I found my pour spout! It is now a treasured antique of mine :-)

Jeez, last time I bought oil in cans of any kind had to have been the early '80s.
When plastic bottles first came out I thought they were insanely great (apologies to Apple Computer ad writers of that same time).
Bottles didn't leak all over the place the way cans did (and did even with that spout you could poke into them!), plus bottles were resealable.
Cans are GONE, and good riddance. What you've got is a museum piece, like my old Macintosh IIci (which I still have).
--
Tegger

brassplyer wrote:

You can still use it for soup cans.

That sure brings back memories, not least of which was figuring out how to emplace a partly used can in the trunk or in some out-of-the- way hidey hole under the hood where it wouldn't get full of dirt and wouldn't tip over...
There are people who collect "petroliana," including motor oil cans, but spouts seem to go for a few bucks (the oil cans themselves can, I kid you not, run into many hundreds or even the low thousands for an attractive and/or rare example in good shape. "Attractive"? Fanciful graphics seemed to get passe in maybe the 60s and seem to be completely gone now, but at one time they were commonplace and there were a *great* many different brands....
Some of the cans sold to collectors are still full. A waxed-cardboard oil can seems like a potentially very messy thing to collect, if it still has its contents. The older soldered-together metal kind might be more trustworthy. At least you don't have to worry about hidden rust on the inside.
Some fun stuff:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/ModernMechanix/1-1935/oil_can_house.jpg
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/828 http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res 07EEDD123BF935A35751C1A9 649C8B63&sec=travel&spon=&pagewanted=1
Anyway, I've seen the things only in the back of somebody's garage or in the odd yard sale for many years. Says here that Quaker State introduced the now ubiquitous plastic bottle in 1984, and as others have noted, its advantages were so obvious that everybody followed suit pretty fast.
--Joe