is SEM vinyl dye semi-transparent?

got a bit of an issue... am trying to vinyl dye a few parts for my '55 Stude to save from having to reupholster everything... am reupholstering the seats with a kit but don't want to have to do door panels, rear seat armrest, etc.

I found a can of "Napa Red" and another of "Firethorn Red" on my friend's shelf; both are pretty close, Napa Red being a little dark and Firethorn Red being ever so slightly light when sprayed over a scrap of leftover vinyl from the seat cover kit.

So I ordered another can of "Firethorn Red" and sprayed the rear armrest with three coats; it looks nothing like the scrap! It's way too light and way too red (not maroon enough.) Now the old interior is a light off-white color. Is that my problem? Should I have sprayed it with black first?

nate

(really wish there was a store that I could run to to buy this stuff instead of having to wait a week every time I want to try something different. Of course I don't have any black vinyl dye in my junk box.)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I've used a couple different "vinyl dyes" on different cars. One seemed to be a lot like paint, the other seemed semi-transparent. With the semi-transparent I think I used closer to 5 or 6 coats. The stuff I used was from YearOne.com, their proprietary stuff.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher