Is this tire repairable?

I worked in garage front ends when radial tires came out and we were forbidden from day one to use plugs in them, they were patch only because we were told the radial belting will work a plug and cut it and push it out.

Plugs are/were only for bias ply tires.

All the home use kits also say they are for temporary use only.

We also were allowed to put a tube in them, bit it was a special expensive 'radial' tire tube that cost almost as much as a new tire. Didn't sell many of those...

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

But then the plug manufacturers went to a material that's darn hard to cut with a knife, just for that reason.

I don't disagree philosophically. Patches are better than plugs. But I've seen plugs... in steel belted radials.... last the life of the tire. I was a broke college student once, y'know. :p

Yuck. The tube "working" against the inside of the tire as the radial sidewalls flex can build up a lot of heat. I wouldn't do that under any circumstances.

Reply to
Steve