Isuzu engine removal/replacement question

Hi, I've skimmed the past few months of posts, and googled this, but can't find a specific answer. (Also posted in alt.isuzu.auto, crossposted to rec.autos.misc and rec.autos.tech) I am replacing an engine with bad cylinder in my 1987 Trooper. Everything else on this car (tranny, tires, brakes, etc) is good-to-almost-new. So I want to keep the vehicle, for sure. I have a line on a rebuilt engine, i think it's a good deal. Do I HAVE to pull the tranny to pull the motor? My Chilton's says so, but there have been a few times that there have been easier ways to do things than the way Chilton's directs. Pulling the tranny would be a huge P.I.T.A., and more work than I planned on doing. (Due to finances etc. doing the pull/install myself.) thanks for any advice/insight, k wallace

Reply to
k wallace

No, you don't have to pull it out. But, you do have to align it back in - the trans inputshaft to the clutch and pilot bearing. Doing it in the car is a lot harder, almost impossible, especially if you don't do this every day for a living. Your going to do it on the floor, no hoist with limited tools. Better to jank it out as an assembly.

Reply to
cselby

I don't think I can; it's a 4WD. According to the manual, on the 2WD you can pull the whole thing out as a unit, but for the 4WD you are supposed to pull the tranny and transfer case off first. Which means removing a whole bunch of crossmembers and dropping the drive line so I'd rather not do it if I don't have to. I have the tools and hoist I need, but no, I don't do this every day for a living. I just want it to be as simple as I can make it, of course, but if the tranny needs to come out, that what I'll do. thanks, k wallace

Reply to
k wallace

I haven't pulled a Trooper (II) engine, but it *should* come out by itself. Things to keep in mind are:

1) You still need to separate the transmission (obviously) but it may be possible for you to simply lay the trans bellhousing on the front swaybar or hold it up with a jack while pulling the engine forward and up to disengage. 2) If you can't get to the uppermost bellhousing bolts you may wish to remove the trans crossmember and angle the trans/engine down for improved access; then reattach crossmember temporarily to continue with engine removal. 3) Removing the radiator and front engine accessories will give you a good deal of room to pull the engine forward. Put cardboard over the AC condenser if equipped incase of a minor slip up during removal. This way you don't need to discharge freon and you still have enough room to make the job easy.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish